Automatic Tranmission hanging

Hey all, I guess it seems that I'm always having problems, but here's my scenario now. I replaced the head gasket and the timing chain and when I put it all back together, my transmission shifts funny. Before I started the teardown, the transmission shifted as smooth as butter. Now three weeks later when I got it all done, it hangs on to gears. First to second gear is smooth. Second to third hangs on, almost redlining the engine before it shifts. Then third to fourth is the same thing. Only when I slightly lift does it upshift. Downshifting is immediate. I replaced the throttle positions sensor, adjusted it, and it still does the same thing. Any suggestions?

Reply to
yippie

Does the trans have a vacuum modulator? If so check for a damaged or unconnected vacuum line on the top side of engine. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I believe that it has a vacuum modulator. I just found a vacuum diagram off the web and going try to see if I connected the vacuum lines wrong. If not, I'm stumped.

Reply to
yippie

Found a vacuum hose that was off the VSV and 2 hoses that were in the wrong place and helped quite a bit. I don't have to lift nearly as often to get it to upshift, but it's still rough shifting from one gear to another. BTW, what is a VSV? I see it on the diagram, but I wasn't sure what it was. Is it a variable speed valve?

Reply to
yippie

It's a vacuum solonoid valve which controls a vacuum actuator. They are used on EGR valves, vapors from fuel tank and etc. It sounds like you've still got a vacuum line on wrong or bad. Do you have a vacuum gauge to check vacuum and/or hoses?

Reply to
davidj92

heh, the only way that I know is by putting my finger over it and seeing if it has and suction. I played around with it yesterday, and it's still pretty much the same going from 2-3rd. 3rd to 4th is much smoother. If I let it run, it'll go to about 45mph, then upshift kinda hard from 2nd to 3rd. Not a jerking hard, but harder than before. If I let go of the gas, it'll upshift around 25mph. 4th gear will not upshift any sooner than 40mph. even then I'll have to lift slightly to get it to go. But this truck really pulls though. Going uphill with partial throttle, steady cruising up at 65mph in 4th. Gun it in 3rd, it really picks up speed well. No leakage under the transmission either. I'm going to change out the fluid and filter this weekend, hopefully some good news before then.

Reply to
yippie