Bad O2 sensor? and mileage question

I am the proud owner of a 1992 extra cab 4WD truck with the V6 engine. It now has 180,000 miles on it. The previous owner had repaired the wiring to the O2 sensor because the person who put the new exhaust in laid the wires on the exhaust pipe and they burned through. There are two wires and a woven shield around them. I think the shield is supposed to be connected to ground at both the sensor end and wherever the wires come from, but I don't know this for sure. Anyway, even though the wires were soldered together and the repair looks suspect, the check engine light doesn't come on and the truck runs well. How can I tell for sure though if the O2 sensor is being read properly by the engine computer? I suspect that it may not be because I think the mileage could be better. The reason why is that my brother has a 1992 extended cab 2WD truck with the 22RE engine and the full length bed. He bought this truck new and has put 331,000 miles on it and it still runs great. He gets 25 MPG driving 65 MPH. I get 19 MPG driving 65 MPH. Is this difference in mileage normal? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow
2WD is a different beast than the 4WD. My '99 4X4 extra cab with AT gets 16 to 17 in town and 19 to 21 on the highway. Depends on whether I'm going up hill or down hill, and, with a tail wind or head wind. You should be getting a check engine light if the O2 sensor is not right.
Reply to
OldPhart

Um, you're comparing a 4cyl 2WD to a v-6 4WD, so yes this difference is expected. Even in a 4WD, the 22RE can easily do 25 MPG.

Reply to
Dan G

My experience is a bit limited here, but the woven material shield is for heat protection, not grounding. As you notice, the area around the sensor is very hot, and the wires need to be protected as well as being routed away from direct contact witht he heat.

The O2 Sensor can fail and lead to high fuel consumption, but if it is so bad that this happens, the computer should be throwing codes. The sensor sniffs the exhaust stream for fuel content, and the computer makes adjustments to the injector timing to get the fuel content within a specified range. If that range can not be met or maintianed, the computer throws a code. If there is no code, odds are that the fuel delivery system is working, and sucky mileage is a reality of the truck.

Having said that, repairs to the wire harness are suspect. You said they look okay, and an ohm check might be worth while just to make sure the splice is working right.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks Jeff, Dan, and OldPhart, I suspected that everything was OK and that the V6 just used more fuel. But it sure doesn't hurt to ask. I will be re-routing the O2 sensor wiring and when I do I will re-do the connection to make sure it is really going to last. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow