Battery Disconnect Question

Having just purchased this 98 Tacoma PreRunner (2.7L 2WD) last Sunday, I've taken the ensuing days to go over the truck with a fine tooth comb... The battery demands immediate attention, so this morning I wish to remove the battery, clean it and the area with a baking soda/water mix...

Here is my question. The truck has an alarm. If it matters, the manufacturer is Pursuit. Can I simply disconnect the battery cables from the battery without 'affecting' the alarm when I reconnect the cables? Would there be a 'proper' order to disconnect/reconnect? I ask because I have a fuzzy recollection of alarm/ignition cutoff problem when I disconnected the battery on my Explorer for a starter R&R...

Are there 'known' issues with this truck/motor/trans (auto) that I should pay special attention to?

Rick Happy New Year!

-- Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Reply to
pray4surf

Some alarm systems use a separate battery so disconnecting the starter battery may or may not be an issue. I'd think if the alarm were turned off removing the battery wouldn't make much difference. However, you might want to get in touch with Audiovox, the people who make Pursuit.

As for removing the battery, disconnect the neg cable first. The battery should be marked (-) neg and (+) positive.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

: : As for removing the battery, disconnect the neg cable first. The battery : should be marked (-) neg and (+) positive.

Red on positive (+) - Black on negative (-).....

I'm checking the Audiovox website. Thanks....

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

You can also use one of those little things you plug into your cig lighter that has a 9v battery on it to keep all your memory devices charged while working on stuff. It doesn't have enough power to really do any damage if grounded out (they also have a fuse in them for that), but it'll keep all your radio stations, clocks and alarms happy for quite a while.

Good luck, - Jeff G

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna

Disconnect battery with alarm 'Not Armed'

Have key fob handy when you reconnect battery, as the alarm will sound immediately...

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

especially fun if the alarm is next to your ear when you reconnect the battery

Reply to
Ben Dover