Battery Terminals

I have a 94 4runner (3vze) with beaten battery terminals. I have already replaced the positive terminal with one from AutoZone. The negative however isn't coming off easy. At this point in time, it looks like cutting the terminal off and clamping a new one on is the solution. The current terminal is attached to the main neg. wire and a ground wire connected to the frame. I've seen alot of posts about changing the whole wire out instead. Any ideas? Is it safe to just cut the old one off, strip a little more wire out, and clamp a new one on with a generic terminal?

Nick

Reply to
Nick T

That can be done, usually, but battery acid has a habit of migrating down the wire causing the copper to weaken and discolor. You can see that it's a dull color instead of the usual shiny copper color. You would have to go back far enough to get past this part which could be more than an inch or so. By that time, the wires would be so short you might have to splice them.

Bottom line, replace the cable. Maybe you should replace both cables while you're at it, they aren't that expensive, and a factory clamp is got to be better than the aftermarket style (fewer moving parts).

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM