Best Cap?

Hi. I am new to this newsgroup. I hope you don't mind my asking a question that's probably been asked before. I also realize that many of you are off-roaders and don't have a use for caps. But I would appreciate any feedback you have.

I am looking at A.R.E., Century, Leer, Astro Cap, Glasstite and one other popular make that I can't think of the name of. I understand Leer had some quality issues years back, but have been told they are getting better. Any other info out there? The cap will go on an '03 Tacoma Extracab.

Thanks!

-- Jessie

---------------------------------------------------------------------- "Start off every day with a smile and get it over with." - ($1 to W.C. Fields)

Reply to
Jessie

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:59:43 -0400, "Jessie" found these unused words floating about:

Put an ARE on my 02 DC. It has some leaking problems. Dealer says they 'aren't serious' and won't fix. They also did (bought) a poor job on the windows, IMHO. The screws that hold the frame and glass together go in any which way.

OTOH, it was the -only- top for the DC with added height ... so !

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

Jessie,

I put an ARE cap on my Ranger back in '91 and was very happy with it....looked as good as new when I got rid of the truck a few months ago...can't say the same for the Ranger !

Because of that, I just put a new "Z" series cap on my '04 Tundra access cab last weekend...it's too new to tell, but so far I'm very happy with the "looks" of this combination. You can also save a few bucks on options with a coupon from the ARE web page...got a bed light, clothes hanger, and tilt-in front slider at no additional cost. The ARE now comes standard with carpeted liner, and it has a limited lifetime warranty. I think the installer/dealer can make a world of difference in terms of leaks, etc. Skippy's in White Marsh, MD knows her stuff !

I also like the ARE vs. the Leer because the Leer had 2 rear lock handles, vs. the 1 on the ARE, and the ARE just slams shut and latches like an auto door.

My 2 cents worth....

Dean...

Jessie wrote:

Reply to
D Larsen

I love the Z series, very sleek looking. Also like all the accessories you can get for the A.R.E. I need lights and places to hang fishing rods and such.

How handy is the tilt-in front slider? I've heard they could cause leaking problems, so kind of put that option out of my mind.

Funny you should mention White Marsh. Although I live in Eastern PA, I go to White Marsh every May. I'll be there two weeks from now. I may just have to get in touch with Skippy's. Thanks for the tip.

- Jess

Reply to
Jessie

Jess,

Small world, eh ??

RE: the front slider....like I said, it's too soon to tell about leaks, etc. It DOES seem kinda flimsy...haven't really looked closely at how it seals when shut...now I'm curious... I guess the only use for that feature I can think of is that it makes cleaning the front of the window a breeze. However, the glass is tinted so dark, you can't see squat out your rearview mirror anyway ! Hey, it was free, so I got it !

Skippy's is on US 40, near the Balt Co landfill...you can get a map from the ARE web page. It's kinda a ratty looking place, but I guess that keeps their costs down. If you stop by, try and strike up a conversation with the installer (Skippy ?)....she's the older blond woman. The younger lady who tends to handle the "sales" is okay, but not as knowledgeable. When I got mine installed, I wanted the 12v light wired "hot" all the time...."Skippy" charged me $15, but crawled around under my truck, wiring it directly to the battery...fused and zip tied everything...looks good, and worth the $15 to let her do it !

Dean...

Reply to
D Larsen