best exhaust header for a toyota 1993 truck

Is it worth the money to buy just an exhaust header for a 2wd truck. What are the best headers for a toyota truck. will I keep the good gas mileage

Reply to
Engebo

"Engebo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

You need to open up the exhaust as well as the intake to see the real results. Header, exhaust, intake.

Reply to
MLB

I have a drop in K&N filter and split exhaust. is the $200 intake worth it or is it just look good. or would the $50 cone shapes K&N work just the same

Reply to
Engebo

Worth it in what regard? More power?...yes, especially if you get a header with the longest possible primary tubes, about 36", and as equal length as possible.

Save gas?...maybe, but never pay for itself.

Forget about miracles from drop-in air filter elements. A K&N FIPK-type intake offers a boost at full throttle high rpms, but very little for your money otherwise. Most so-called performance mufflers offer more noise than performance gains. Exhaust pipes that are too big in diameter will reduce low and mid range power.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

brand of headers with most power

Reply to
Engebo

I think this newsgroup needs a repository site. Less than 2 years ago there was a large discussion about whether K/N was an airflow improvement. That discussion ended the same way the one before it did, and the same way the next one will most likely end the same. The k/n system is not as good as the stock. (The hooker header is good on older Toys. That's just my experience on a 76 celica notchback, which is probably still annihilating the streets of Boston today) Anyway, no intake system has bettered the stock. Ask MTD, ask any of the old hands ( if they can quit playing politics), we've been thru this. keep your stock intake. save the cash for a trd header/exhaust. If you gotta go cheap, try to replicate the trd system.

Reply to
?reality

Ken is correct.

open exhaust with 2 devices both being true open devices. a non-louvered glasspack followed by something like a Magnaflow. keep OEM internal tube sizes. the longer you can fit the better to knock out noise. replace cats with hi-flo ones. a header is good. focus on opening your airbox (saves $$$ and does a very good job of letting engine pull air easier). you can use K&N just keep it clean and oiled PROPERLY (too much oil will get MAF dirty and too little oil lets in too much dirt).

Reply to
Kryptoknight

i'd have to disagree... simply swapping out oem muffler with a glass-pack/magnaflow combo will improve hp/torque/mpg.

a complete breathing upgrade (airbox,intake,cats,header,mufflers) will require a ECU re-program to take full advantage of the upgrades (which most do not do).

"?reality"

Reply to
Kryptoknight