Blue book vs NADA on a '95 4runner: big diff...which is right?

getting closer to owning a 4runner:

'95 4runner v6 auto 4x4: 92800 mi

KBB: 7100 (good cond) --> 7800 (exc cond) NADA: 8800 (low retail) --> 11050 (high retail)

why the difference?

We're looking to buy from a private seller who's asking 9500. Obviously I'd like to go with the kbb value... he told me the NADA value was 11200. What reasons can I give him as to why we should go closer to the KBB value? I'm looking to hopefully pay around 7 K even.

he also said this particular 'run' of engines wasn't part of the recall of head gaskets. he checked when he bought it 2nd hand from carmax. likely to be true, of course i should just check for peace of mind.

also, any other thoughts on this car vs a '99 4runner from the dealer, which we may be able to get for 17-18K + taxes and stuff, with 47 K miles. Lower horsepower on the '95, poor gas mileage (15-17 mpg?... how's the 99?).... but i like the tailgate!

thanks in advance. these groups are great! jy

Reply to
James Y. Yang

If you decide to get a loan, most banks and CUs use the NADA value to determine how much they'll loan.

Reply to
Steve Elmore

Basically, NADA is the retailprice, KBB is the wholesale price (what you would get on a trade-in), which is generally less than you would expect to get if you sold it yourself (why so many people choose to private sell their vehicle instead of trading it in, especially in a bad market). Private vehicle sales usually go for somewhere in between the KBB and NADA prices.

Reply to
Scott