Bolt-On Lift Kit for '88 4Runner

I want to purchase a good bolt-on lift kit for my '88 4Runner. Anyone have a suggestion of what to get and where to buy it?

I don't know enough about how to do this to allow me to pick out the individual parts myself - I would feel much better with a kit, knowing that I won't get things apart and then realize I need to order something else. However, if one of you more knowledgeable fellows wants to provide me with a laundry list of what to buy, and point to a site that tells how to put it all together, that would work.

I still have my IFS and torsion bars (for now); so, I need a kit that works with this factory set-up. A bit of extra travel in the front suspension would be good. I would be willing to pay extra for this.

I can do pretty much anything except welding.

I am looking for 2" to 3" of lift and want the end result to be done right, regardless of cost. Also, my lower ball joints need to be replaced while I am at this.

Thanks for the advice.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Would help to understand the goal of the lift. Is it to fit larger tires, if so what size tire? For on-road looks or off-road use. If off-road, what type of use, high-speed desert pre-running, rock crawling, mud or sand, forest service roads, etc.?

For that year vehicle, you can crank up the torsion bars a little in front, add a longer rear spring shackle and/or add-a-leaf spring and possibly install a 1"-2" body lift to fit 33x12.50 tires. This is a good all-around lift and I have some info. on my site as well as links to vehicle build ups using mild lifts:

are also now ball joint spacers that are good for about the samelift w/o the torsion bar adjustment. If you are looking at high speed desert pre-running, then some form of long-travel front suspension like Chaos or Fabtech might be of more use. All depends on your needs and budget.

Reply to
Roger Brown

[...]

.

Thanks, Roger.

I want to get some larger tires on the vehicle and do some climbing in the local mountains. Mostly forest roads with some mud and a few rocks.

I use the truck to get to work as well - so, I don't want to screw up the highway ride too bad. Also, I want it to look good, which these trucks can with the right lift, paint, etc. I plan on keeping this truck pretty much forever.

I have a bit of money to spend to do this thing right.

Actually, I was hoping you might be the one to offer advice as I have been to your site before and you really seem to know a lot about this stuff. Really, my ignorance knows no bounds with regard to building an offroad machine. I used to play in the mud with this truck but haven't done so in nearly ten years. I want to eventually put bumpers, a winch, dual batteries and some lights so the kids and I can go play in the woods on the weekends.

BTW, I am also an engineer in the software business. I seem to remember from past visits to your site that you are a EE that worked for SGI at one point, I think. I work at Intergraph, a former competitor of Silicon Graphics. That business certainly has changed. We are out of the H/W business these days.

I will take any advice you want to give.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Have a look at the links on the page I posted to the various vehicle buildups and see if that is what you are looking to do:

(its a pickup, but the samesuspension that you have)and
Minimal lift, very streetable, run a 33x10.50 or 33x12.50 tire, re-gear the axles, maybe add a limited slip or locker if you see the need and go from there.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Or, you can fit 31x10.50 or possibly a 32x11.50 tire on the truck w/ no lift. That may be a good first step, run it for a year or two, figure out if you need bigger tires, or lower gears or lockers, or whatever as you go.

Reply to
Roger Brown

I have heard a few good things about the Downey kit that runs Rancho A-arms and custom shafts. Its good for a few inches of lift and a lot more travel. If you don't want to go full-tilt with something like Total Chaos, the Downey kit might be a good compromise.

B.

Reply to
Brian

I use my truck for hauling and towing (highway), and camping (forest roads).

I've done the Superlift 2" lift on my

89, running 31x10.5 tires, heavy-duty 4-leaf springs. Never had a problem. I am using manual (AISIN) hubs, I wouldn't go off-road with Toyota's ADD (or any other auto-locking hub system, for that matter, and I had an especially bad experience with Isuzu's auto-locking hubs in 1994 - if you don't have that 10 feet to move and engage the hubs, you're not going anywhere. Learned that lesson.) While I do have the Superlift kit, I'm not convinced that it is the best kit option out there, though the leaf springs are certainly the best I've ever seen.

It is a bit bouncy when empty on the highway (By "a bit bouncy" I mean if I hit the RR tracks on the highway at 70mph, I'm airborne briefly, and for a moment I feel a bit bolnoy in me brooko, as Alex might say, but SWMBO actually loves it.)

Remember that your odometer and speedometer will read under, between 6% and 10%. There are several tire calculators online.

I get between 17mpg (adjusted) and a max of 21mpg highway, and it isn't a problem driving in city traffic, though I don't use it as a daily driver.

Well, sadly, the good looks will fade as you approach forever, and the decline accelerates as you approach the rust-belt. But, I can attest they'll keep moving long after you've tired repairing the body and replacing the tailgate (which seems to rust even in Texas).

But you're right > Minimal lift, very streetable, run a 33x10.50 or 33x12.50 tire, re-gear

good luck! GTr

89 V6 4x4 with 200k+

- -

gregory trimper