Borla Dual Exhaust System

I'm contemplating getting the Borla Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System for my 2003 4runner. I'm looking for any comments that anybody has regarding the installation and performance of these things. Also, if I were to purchase one and have it done professionally, would anybody know of where to get it installed? Is it as simple as going to your local garage? By the way, there are no Borla distributors around my residence.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

How noisy is it inside the cab? The stock exhaust is quiet from that point of view, and I'd like to keep it that way - but I'd like it to sound at least a _little_ "rad" outside/behind.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

Borlas are designed to be owner installed. The real hard part is removing the old one piece system. After installing a Borla system in my 93'

4Runner, I noticed a little more throatier sound. I'm used to the sound of my truck, so I was expecting night and day difference. I was a bit disappointed at first. Then my friend told me it sounds better than stock and could tell it was different when I was coming down the street. He had a 91 Toy PU with a stock exhaust. No one else drives my truck, so it's hard to tell from the inside.

If you do plan on DIY, here is a trick that will help. When removing and replacing the exhaust from the hangers. Spray some WD-40 on both ends of the rubber, and the hangers will slip right out of the rubber grommets.

You can order Borla from any distributor, and in most cases they will ship it you. I got mine from Performance Products with 15% off during their yearly sales.

I think Summit and Jegs also carry Borla as well.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Hey thanks for the info. Responding to an earlier message, yes Borla does have a system for the 2003. Unbelievable that it came out that quick. In fact, ebay is selling a 4Runner right now with the system installed. Looks sweet. I called TRD and they don't plan to have one out until next year.

Thanks for the WD40 tip. I'm still yet undecided on whether or not I want to do it myself. I don't have access to a lift and I'm not the most mechanical person in the world either, but like you said, Borla's are made for the DIY crowd. I just don't know. I wondering what it would put me back to get in professionally installed? Speaking of that, where could I get that done? Can I just take it to the local shop?

Reply to
Rick

I couldn't be farther away from SoCal....try Pittsburgh. Yeah, I was thinking about the jack stands and was wondering if they gave enough clearance. Maybe I will take a stab at it. Hey, if you happen to swing by Pittsburgh, let me know, I'll be more than happy to hook up some Corona :).

Thanks for the help

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I installed a Borla system on my (then) new 93 SR5 V6. So it's over 10 years old going strong. I like the nice sound, but in all honesty, I could never tell if there was any performance improvement. I got it more for the stainless steel construction that anything else. Although I'm still just under 100K miles, I've had no problems.

Reply to
Frantz Dantzler