Butyl tape today?

I am trying to re-seal the door panel on my truck.

I have 2mil plastic sheeting which is sold as painting drop cloth.

I have learned that butyl tape is the way to go to attach it to the door. Napa can order it for me, but my hope is that it is available in stock if I just knew what who to ask.

Oh, and I would be happy to also hear if I should get some other plastic sheeting that may stick better to the butyl compound.

Ideas?

Reply to
Doug Herr

Many of the wholesale paint houses that sell replacement body panels will sell retail as well and have this type of supplies. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

You might be able to find it at the local hardware store; It is also used to seal flashing on roofs.

Reply to
Steve

Let us know how it goes. I'd like to do that as well.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

It may be a few days before I have any more to report. After a few more phone calls today, I gave up and used duct tape. There is another storm forecast for Friday, so I will get to see how well it worked. If it does not work then I guess I will order the 60 foot roll of butyl tape that Napa auto can get me.

Reply to
Doug Herr

check this out:

This is a site for Hondas & Acuras, but the job is the same no matter what car you drive.

Reply to
Bruce

Doug,

You might want to try a glass shop. When I had to wait for a new piece of glass to come in, the guy at the glass shop placed some temporary plastic sheeting and secured it with what I believe was butyl tape. As I recall, they even had it in tube form, similar to the ones that are used for caulking. They might be willing to sell you what you need or, at the very least, put you in touch with a local supplier that has it in stock.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis