Buying 4Runner Recommendations Needed

Hello,

I'm looking at '96 through '01 4Runners and trying to decide which style to get. What are the differences among Standard, Limited, and SR5 versions? Which years and styles had part time and full time 4WD and locking differential (standard or optional)? Can 4WD be engaged on the fly? Are there any other important considerations or issues with any of these year models or styles? I'm also thinking about adding a TRD supercharger. Is this a good idea for vehicles with over

80K? Anyone know where to get a good price on a TRD kit?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris
1) trd kit will run you around $3k, but i would make sure you have a sound engine if it has over 80k miles already. 2) i do not believe any 4runners are awd. 3) some had ADD and some did not (add is in the truck 4x engagement) 4) 4x can be engaged on-the-fly, my 96' manual says under 50mph 5) standard 4runner was typical of 4cyl 2x, sr5 had 4 or 6cyl 4x or 2x, and lots of "sr5" badging, limited was typical to have v6 4x leather, everything power, etc. 6) locking diff on a 4runner, not sure if that was ever a option "you could get".

Reply to
Kryptoknight