Buying a tacoma

I discovered that one of the tacomas that I am considering purchasing has been in an accident. I know that because the dealer has the CarFax report listed, and it shows an accident.

Does that mean that there is no way I should purchase the vehicle? (it is a 99 tacoma 4x4). I am going to have a mechanic check the vehicle out before I buy it in any case.

Thanks,

Reply to
jwill

Regardless of how well it was repaired, I wouldn't pay as much for it as one that had never been in an accident. It will hurt the trade in value when you are ready to trade it. If you would happen to be in an accident and it is a total loss, the insurance will not want to pay as much for it. I had that happen to me.

Charles

Reply to
<bridgescharles

It depends, what do you mean by "accident" ?? Was it totaled, was it only a fender bender or was it a grill and a bumper ??? It really depends on how picky you are and how much damage was done to the vehicle. If I was purchasing a vehicle I would not buy one that was totaled, I don't care how well it was repaired. If the damage was minor and the vehicle was repaired well I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Reply to
Mike

Just some info here: I had a 1998 Dodge Dakota that was wrecked 3 times. The first time, the cab was bent, and the entire top was replaced. The second time, the front end got hit, and the radiator, A/C, battery, and front suspension had to be replaced. Third time I got rear ended and hit so hard the bed moved forward and dented the back of the cab.

Seven (7) years later, I sold my truck with a CarFax that I purchased on it, and it showed no accidents.

What does that mean? If my truck had that much damage and didn't show anyth>I discovered that one of the tacomas that I am considering purchasing

Reply to
jp2express

Run from the deal if you want a good truck. Few Americans can repair the inported cars. To show up as an accident I think the truck will have to have about 1/4 the value of the truck as damage. Major damage, not just a fender bender.

Now if you are paying less than say $ 1000 for it, then it may be ok to get with the thought you will junk it if you have any problems. I bought a 1985 Dodge Ram 50 that way about 10 years ago. It was only $ 800 and I wanted a truck to haul junk around in. Drove it maybe 5,000 miles in the years I had it. It was not a primary vehicle, just an extra one.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Its 8 years old! If it looks good, is a good price and a mechanic checks it out ok then I wouldn't let an accidident on CARFAX dissuade you. They miss reporting of many accidents so the next one with a clean bill of health may have be damaged even worse.

Reply to
Wolfgang