cap and rotor, toyota or aftermarket?

'93 toyota 3.0 V6, should I use only toyota cap and rotor or OK to use after market? any suggestions appreciated, thanx, andy

Reply to
andy

I've found that most aftermarket tune-up parts for Toyota are total shit.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Reply to
Doug

To mirror other comments, I've not been impressed with most aftermarket parts for the 22R/RE and 3V-ZE, with the exception of a lot of BeckArnely parts. In particular, Bosch parts (plugs, rotors, caps) can have a noticeable detrimental effect on the 22RE, maybe not as much on the 3V-ZE, except for the plugs: there is a definite "seat of the pants" difference between the Bosh and NGK plugs. I always recommend the P16Rs in the 22-RE, the BKR5EYA in the 3V-ZE, and never ever ever a Bosch Platinum. Learned that lesson in too many Toyota engines (18R,20R,22R/RE,5M-GE,6M-GE,7M-GTE/GE, 4A, 3E,...) too many times, thanks to the weekend parts guys never carrying NGKs. Plan ahead, buy your parts before the weekend!

good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

I do not agree with the others on this.. I had an 88 PU with 22R (yes it wasn't injected)

I placed a Jacobs energy team kit on it.

The higher spark voltage ate away at the nickel contacts in the stock Cap fast.

I went to NAPA and they had a brass electrode cap and roter set that lasted me years with little corrosion of the contacts.

Do the Genuine Toyota cap and roters have Brass ?? If not I'd go for aftermarket.

After I added this kit I could run my truck year round with the choke plate out. It would take some pumping of the accelerator pump on the carb, and some throttle feathering for about 2 blocks. After that I never missed the choke.

Id also recommend getting spiral conductor core plug wires. They used to be hard to find but now I think they are out everywhere. Nascar was the last set I bought for a 92 honda civic.

Also, I like Bosch platnum but only when the voltage of the coil is low.. I placed their platnum tip plugs in an 84 Chevy Caprice classic with a stander HEI system feeding a 305. The platnum tips seemed to melt and migrate out to the outter electrode.

Reply to
Kip

Personally, I have had decent success with Bosch Super plugs... just the regular Copper electrode... I use them in my 22R all the time, but I guess I'll give the NGK's a go next time... I have a tune-up coming up. When I bought my first 22R-engined car, it had Bosch Platinum... I didn't think the car would last a week..

Reply to
Celica Dude

Once upon a time, I bought aftermarket cap and rotor for my 85 Collora. It didn't fit right, took it back.

Reply to
DTT