change Tundra 2000 oil filter w/o making a mess

Get a small step ladder so you can reach down far enough to place a plastic kitchen garbage bag underneath the filter. Be sure to pull the bag up behind the filter before loosening so the oil will spill into the bag. Remove the filter and clean the filter mount with paper towel. Install new filter. CAREFULLY remove plastic bag containing spilled oil.

This works for me. Thought I'd pass it along.

John

Reply to
John

I use much the same method, but dropping the skidplate and using a large Ziplock bag works well, and eliminates the possibility that I'm going to drip oil on my drive belts.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Is there an after market remote oil filter kit for this engine, and if there is, is it any good?

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

The filter base is the same as the old standard Ford (FL1-A), so a remote kit for an old V8 Mustang would work.

That said, I would not trust it. I've heard horror stories about V6 Tacomas blowing the lines on remote kits due to the extremely high oil pressure, particularly when cold.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Reply to
Glenn Arsenault

Hmm... so let's take oil from the intake to the engine (that's already been filtered), run it through a big filter, and return it to the oil pan with the dirty oil? For $200? Is Amsoil going to replace my engine when it blows up?

No thanks.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I don't like the way Amsoil has designed their dual full-flow & bypass filter assembly, but it does work well, will lengthen the life of your engine, and not cause the engine to fail. About 5-10% of the engine's oil is cleaned in the bypass filter, and over time, the oil in the sump remains as clean as new. What I don't like about Amsoil's dual filter assembly is that in order to force some of the oil through the high resistance bypass filter, they create additional pressure resistance in the oil system. This may result in less oil going to the engine, but it all seems to work OK. I don't think the rig has $200 worth of benefit, but may if someone drives extremely high mileage, does extended oil drain intervals with oil analysis, and transfers the filter assembly to their next vehicle.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

The remote filter kits are OK as long as you have high pressure hydraulic hose with the high pressure hose fittings. Sometimes the push-on hose fittings are OK, and sometimes they aren't. Is it really that much trouble to remove the five bolts and drop the skid plate???

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

No, but I find it a whold lot less time consuming and less trouble to stick a plastic bag underneath the filter while I change it..

John

Reply to
John

Another vote for plastic bags and kitty litter cleanup or moving the skid plate, versus relocation kit and just one more thing to break.

And I'm a silly girl... girls hate to get messy *GRIN* everyone knows that... ;) Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

"Dammit, Jim, he said the "A" word...."

Reply to
S.Lewis

Reply to
junktogo

And I tried hard not to post a follow up message. Sometimes a little messy is ok, all part of trucking. ; )

Reply to
junktogo

use a toyota oilfilter w. anti drainback valve...way les mess and better for start-ups in coooold

Reply to
fghfgh