Charging System Lite on Dash

I have a 1987 4 x 4 Toyota truck with a 22R 4cyl engine. Recently, the alternator seized and broke the belt. I replaced the alternator and the belt but now when I start the truck, the charging lite and emergency brake lite on the instrument panel stay lit. I've had the charging system checked and it is charging. I've checked the 7.5 amp fuse in the underhood fuse block and it's fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Foshman

I had the same issue with a '87. The previous owner had taken the bulbs out and I found out why when I opened up the dash to replace another bulb. Since the alternator was putting out a constant 15vdc and it checked okay at a shop, I chose to live with it. When the voltage went up over 15.5vdc I replaced the alternator. Problem solved. Apparently there are two alternators listed for '87. Mine had the internal regulator that has a specific wire for the light circuit. For whatever reason the one that the previous owner had installed did not work properly. The one I replaced it with worked right immediately. 14.5vdc at the battery and when I put the bulbs back in they did not light up.

I would try and get another alternator.

Reply to
Jarhead

There is a fuse behind the kick panel on the drivers side inside the truck. If this fuse blows the charge light will come on.

Reply to
Mike