Charging system woes: Short Version - PLEASE HELP! :(

Here's what I've got:

89 P/U 2WD Standard Cab, 4 Speed Manual, CA model, Carbureted.

The alternator is not kicking in intermittently. Happens a lot when it's raining. Charge light goes on, idle speed goes up, no current between alternator and battery. The belt is tight. There is no mechanical noise. I did the full charge test (ground F terminal on the regulator) but got nothing. It's hard to get at the hole in the back to ground it so it's inconclusive. I checked all connections going to the alternator. S and IG are getting 12.6V. The L terminal is questionable - it's reading

3.8V. The light is on and the alternator isn't charging when this happens. When the light goes off and the alternator kicks on, it reads about 4.5V. Is this a normal voltage for this terminal or is this abnormal?

This has been going on for a few years on and off. I've had the alternator bench tested a few times but it's still questionable in my mind, along with the bloody wiring on that circuit. Flaky regulator plus some short in the wiring in that circuit = no charge, maybe?

Question to you Toyota gurus: What voltage should I be reading at L on the truck side? There isn't anything for my particular alternator in the manual for that spec. I don't have a factory service manual. Anything else to look for? There seems to be a lot of stuff on that circuit to cause voltage drops. = /

TIA.

-Beth

Reply to
Beth