chassis identification -- where?

I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 extended cab short bed. Apparantly, there have been two chassis to Tundras in 2006. I looked at the stickers on the driver door side, but that just tells about tires. Where do I look to find the chassis model? I need this to buy 3rd party add-ons. Thanks.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

The accessory makers will tell you what fits depending on the build date of the car (on the doorjamb plate) and the VIN.

The first three characters of the VIN are the World Manufacturer Identifier, and the next four are the major model of the vehicle. The next few characters are things like the model year, engine and transmission codes and body trim level (not necessarily in that order) then the sequential serial number at the end.

The doorjamb sticker has the manufacture date of the vehicle, which is often a vital piece of info. And there is even more detailed build info on the plate on the firewall inside the engine compartment, like the paint color code, interior color code, exact transmission model and the rear axle ratio.

They often make their running changes at the end of the month - the parts books will have a big asterisk and the footnote shows that a car uses the "old" part through September and switches to the "new" part in October. Or they record the change based on the serial number, whether yours is below or above the magic number. If you write down all the information on the doorjamb and firewall plates and have the notes handy when you call to order the parts, it will answer almost any question they may have...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman