Cheap windshield noisier?

Just had the windshield in my 97 4R replaced by Safelite, and the engine/exterior noise is noticeably louder than with the slightly cracked one I had replaced. Doesn't sound like a leak, though. Also, it seems that the wipers are making a louder noise at the end of each stroke. Any idea why? Do cheaper aftermarket windshields (this was about $170 installed) provide noticeably less noise insulation?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

Might be that in 97 they used thicker windshields. I know at some point the law changed regarding how many layers were in the front windshield glass and the result was thinner and lighter windshields.

Reply to
Art

Thanks. But the old windshield was less than a year old, though it was installed at a Toyota dealer so it may have been Toyota glass.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

"Zen Cohen" wrote in news:gNZBe.157457$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

It almost certainly was not. OEM glass is extremely expensive compared to aftermarket. Check the print in the lower left corner of the glass. If it does not say TOYOTA somewhere, then it is aftermerket.

Chances are great that your increased noise is due to improperly installed trim, or to an improperly fitted windshield. That is to say, something's crooked.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

You're right. They came out, found a leak and fixed it. Thanks.

Reply to
Zen Cohen