Chevron vs. Valvoline oil

Anyone out there have a opinion on Chevron premium 10/30 and Valvoline

10/40 for a 89,000mi straight 6 Thanks
Reply to
randy1128

Chevron is the better choice.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Another vote for Chevron Supreme. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

You should go with Castrol, #1 rated by consumer reports.

Reply to
NetRanger

Havoline is one of ChevronTexaco's brands and hardly unknown.

Castrol, Pennz, Chevron, Havoline, Kendall (one of ConocoPhillips' brands)...hard to go wrong.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I work in a refinery, we make all kinds of oil. Funny thing is it comes out of the same crude and is run through the same process and then packaged in different bottles. They will tell you that their oil has more of this or more of that in the way of additives but we are talking parts per million levels because we add those too. Each has their blend of additives but the difference is only so they can say it is different.

Their are only two types of motor oil, crude based and synthetic which by the way is also crude based but usually a sweet crude with a really large amount of additives.

I drive a Tundra and a Honda Pilot, and neither has ever seen anything but Mobil One!

Reply to
Are you Nuts

I was about to mention that, a friend worked in a refinery in Colorado and told me the same thing. He told me the engineers he worked with told him to buy whatever name-brand is on sale.

Some users of certain brands will kick and scream to hear that, but as with so much in this world, no one if forcing them to save money.

To illustrate that point, I bought a Datsun B210 in 1978 and kept it for ten years. I can honestly say I remember changing the oil, maybe, ten times, usually on my birthday. The thing didn't use much oil, maybe a quart or so a year. The thing that saved my laziness was the fact that I changed the filter about every 5,000 miles, which worked out to be about three times a year with one of those changes taking place during the annual oil change.

I have to admit, I've done better with my '88 pickup (22R). Its first 12 years or so it got an oil change twice a year. It still doesn't leak or burn any oil at 169,000 miles, but I change the oil every four to six thousand now. Decided it's time to spoil the old gal... :>))

Folks who brag about changing the oil every 1,500 miles always bring a smile, they think the oil and filter changes that often really extends their engine life, then they trade it in after two or three years.

Tom - Vista, CA

Are you Nuts wrote:

Reply to
TOM