chip key

I just bought a 2003 Tacoma which had only one key. The cost for another one at a dealership is outrageous. Anyone having suggestions on how to get another key made and programed would be welcomed.

Reply to
Norm

Find a locksmith who has the equipment to read your key and program the new key blanks. It will be a lot cheaper than the dealer.

Reply to
Skip

Get a blank chip key from ebay, have the key cut at your favorite locksmith / hardware / auto parts store, then program the key yourself. If you can't find instructions via Google, then the Tacoma forum

probably has a thread...the question certainly comes up enough over there.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Thanks Andy,

After I had a key made at a locksmiths I tried it on the locked truck. It opened the door but set off the car alarm. I turned the alarm off and tried the key in the ignition and it set off the alarm again. OK, I assumed it was a chip key problem. I called Toyoto and they then told me the Tacoma 2003 didn't have a transponder key. OK now it's a car alarm problem or maybe it's a problem that I don't understand the alarm system (very likely!). It was an aftermarket alarm system and I'm trying to run down the car dealer I bought it truck from to sort it out. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Reply to
Norm