Cigarette lighter doesn't work on a '97 SR-5 4-Runner

After using a portable air pump to air up my tires the cigarette lighter doesn't work anymore. I've check the fuse box near the drivers door and all the fuses look OK. Everything else works just fine. Is there a fusible link for the cigarette lighter or another fuse box that I can check? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Gordon

ummm.....is there a fuse box under the hood nest to the battery box??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Yeah I looked at that one. The fuses look OK also. Those under hood fuses seem to be for the engine and other things.

Reply to
Gordon

THey might *look* good, but did you actually pull them out and test them with a multimeter?? Seems to me that the owners manual should tell you what fuses go where and to what accessory.

Reply to
Noon-Air

just behind the connector to the lighter? Pierce

the plug and you'll see you don't there.

Ya I bet that's it. Every one I have ever seen has some form of protection at the lighter. That circuit is probably also used to power for the clock's display. Or at least it does in older models so if pulling the fuse kills the clock display it would be a good indicator that power is getting there.

Reply to
Danny G.

Gordon, I don't see where you said in any of the posts that you had actually checked for voltage inside the lighter socket with a test light or volt meter; is the power to it dead? The reason I ask is that I damaged the lighter in my Tacoma by plugging some other device into it. All it needed though was to reach inside and bend the prongs that contact the lighter back into position, it was really just a mechanical problem and not electrical. Just a thought, good luck. Jim D

Reply to
vjderose