Click click click, after the rain

I've noticed a few clicks from the ignition before it catches. This only happens after it's been raining for awhile, and usually quite heavy rain. Any ideas? I thought the leaky windshield was the problem so I sealed it. Either I didn't seal it enough or the problem isn't related. I would think it's the alternator because it sounds like dead spots, but it only happens after a rainy period and then just goes away, until it rains again. Thank you for your thoughts.

Jeanne

Reply to
JeanneMarie

It would be helpful to know what vehicle and how many miles on it. By a few clicks, do you mean that when you try to start the engine, you only get a click for several tries? If so, a common cause on high mileage vehicles is worn contacts in the starter solenoid. on many japanese vehicles it is possible to buy just the replacement contacts, but since the starter motor is probably also quite worn, many mechanics replace the whole starter assembly.

Linda

Reply to
Linda Parker
1995 Toyota 4X4, 147K.

I didn't think starters/solenoids were affected by the rain or moisture in the air. Are they? It's starts fine when the weather is dry. Thanks.

Jeanne

Reply to
JeanneMarie

Really, not normally, but when a starter solenoid starts giving trouble it may be very intermittent, and anything might affect it. My Camry starter solenoid started givint trouble at about 150k

Reply to
Linda Parker

Reply to
Cregster

"JeanneMarie" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I was having intermittent electrical problems (including click-click) that I thought were starter related. In desperation I started with the basics; replaced both of the stock battery clamps with a heavy duty set from Wally World.

The old girl hasn't missed a beat since.

Reply to
Rich