clunking sound

Rig:

1989 Toyota 4x4 ext cab, 5 speed

Problem: Slight clunk when I accelerate from a stop. (Sounds like the handle of a Craftsman screwdriver rattling around under the hood.) I can sometimes also hear this noise when I press the brakes while coming to a moderate to quick stop.

TIA

AG2

Reply to
ag2ward

Just guessing here, but I would check the engine, transmission, and any transfer case frame mounts. I have heard that broken/loose mounts can cause something like this. If left undiscovered, it can also be a vehicle safety issue.

Reply to
Tones

You should also check your U-joints and carrier bearing on your drive shafts. Again, if this is the problem and is not fixed, it could be a serious safety issue.

Reply to
Tones

Well, FWIW--- I finally found a clunking noise from the front end like you described to be the drivers door hinges on a '93 Chev S-10. The door would shift with the 'G' forces involved with starting and stopping giving a clunk or multiple clunk that sounded like it was coming from the engine compartment, or from the front suspension. My body shop installed some bronze bushings and the clunk went away.

Reply to
Dumpster