Clunking sound durning turn

Hello all...

I have a 1988 Toyota Pickup, carburated, 4 cly, 22R egine. Here is the probelm...

Every so often, I get a clunking sound. It is usually just one "clunk", but sometimes it is two sucessive "clunks." Sounds like someone is hitting the frame with a rubber mallet. It happens most often when I make a sharp right immediately followed by a sharp left turn, perhaps doing 10 or 20 mph.

Although this circumstance is when it happens the most, it has occurred during gentle left turns. It does not appear to happen when making a right turn. It never happens during straight driving no matter how bumpy the road it.

It is difficult to hear exactly where it is coming from, but it sounds and feels like it is coming from the front. But like I said, since the clunk reverberates throught the truck it kind of sounds like it comes from the back also. You can also feel it sometimes on the floor boards.

This is what I have done to try and remedy the problem:

1) checked torsion bar mounts. 2) repacked torsion bars with lube. 3) Check wheel bearings. Right tire had some play, so replaced bearings and repacked with grease...no dice. Perhaps service the left tire? 4) Examined every tie rod, ball joint and repacked with lube. Nothing. 5) Pulled and pried on every mount, shock, suspension arm..ect...nothing. 6) Rocked truck back on forth in an attempt to recreate sound...nothing. 7) Check for play on rear tires...seems ok.

Perhaps it is the steering gear box? I raised the front end and pushed and pulled on the tires...Motion seemed to become a tad unsmooth when brought all the way to the left. But then again, I dont have to bring the wheel all the way to the left to create the clunking sound.

Anyway, I am open to just about any suggests. Keep in mind, there are no CV joints...just solid axles..but I suspect the problem may be similar...

Thank you in advance..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Have you greased the chassis components lately? I have heard of this happening just after a thorough greasing no sure what causes it. If this is indeed your problem it will go away within 2 or 3 weeks

Reply to
Anders

Tom schrieb:

Have someone standing in front of the vehicle, bent down to see the steering linkage. Pull the parking brake and step on the brake. Start the engine (if you have P/S) otherwise leave it off.

Steer to full left and full right. Your partner should see one of the drag links being turning forward and reverse depending on the direction you steer.

*CLUNK*

:)

And, also the leaf springs do have sideway tolerances.

Regards,

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

Usually this type of noise is caused because the plastic caps on the sterring stops have worn through or fallen off. You can buy new caps for about $3.00 at any automotive store. Hillbilly method is to forget replacing and put dab of grease on the stops. Either method works.

Reply to
Bubba

88 with leafs on front?
Reply to
PCK

PCK schrieb:

Why not? Is existing... But the rear ones - if present - behave alike.

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

Bubba wrote: Usually this type of noise is caused because the plastic caps on the sterring stops have worn through or fallen off. You can buy new caps for about $3.00 at any automotive store. Hillbilly method is to forget replacing and put dab of grease on the stops. Either method works.

I think Bubba's got it. Steering limiters need a dab of grease, even with the plastic caps. Tom

Reply to
tom

OK I found it...

It seems the two bolts on the left side that hold the tranny mount to the tranny are gone! One bolt has complete fallen out (how I dont know) and the other sheered off at the head (the body of the bolt is still in the tranny.

The empty hole is a bit corroded...and I dont know how I will ever get the sheered bolt off.

Check your tranny mount Omega, I bet this is your problem also..

So I guess this is where the real fun begins!

Reply to
Tom

Tom schrieb:

OUCH!

When it comes to replacement (the rest of one bolt - give it a deep soak in rust-solvent oil, heat it up and drill it away) mind the strength class of the bolts you are using.

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

Thank you!

But...

Can you believe, after all that time spent on retapping the empty hole and drilling out the old bolt, it is still making that clunking sound. This is driving me up a wall. I thought for sure this was the problem.

Damn. Back to the drawing board.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom, Since you had transmission mount loose and trans moving one of your engine mounts could have been damaged. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92