Clutch by-pass switch?

Hello; I have a New 2008 Tacoma, in the book, I see what is described as a clutch by-pass switch, I have 2 wheel drive 6 cyl. 6 speed Manual trans. How does this work and can I install it without much trouble?

Reply to
R/C Foster

The switch simply lets you crank the starter without depressing the clutch pedal.

It can be useful four wheeling, when you need to start the truck in gear to get out of a very low traction situation.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Why do you think you need it?

It's a *momentary* push switch, meant for 4X4 Low Range use only - if you're on a very steep hill you don't want to release the clutch, the brakes alone may not hold and getting moving suddenly could make you lose control or roll over. Or if you're on a side-camber, any wheel slip could send you sideways and off the edge.

You push the bypass switch so you can start the engine in gear and gently creep away from the edge of disaster. It's hard on the starter, but considering the alternative...

In regular first gear it will be much harder (but not impossible) to pull the same trick. But if you don't have 4X4 you shouldn't be planning on getting into that tight a spot in the first place.

If you are thinking about disabling the clutch safety switch for a remote start system, forget it. You can not safely install a remote start on a stick shift vehicle unless you have a foolproof way of locking it into Neutral.

And I do mean 'fool proof' - in this case, simply being 'idiot resistant' isn't going to cut it.

Somebody leaves the truck in gear and you trigger the remote start (or it triggers on it's own) and at fast idle (cold start) the truck will gladly charge off and start hitting and running over things, including pedestrians and cyclists and fire hydrants, till it hits something big enough to stop it. Like a big Motorhome, City Bus or a Semi. You'll be on the hook for all the damages, your auto insurance company has clauses that protect them from paying out for preventable acts, read the fine print.

Said shift blocking usually involves a big steel plate and padlock system that physically holds the shifter in Neutral. Go look at some of the old Higgins tow-behind forklifts - they have to make sure it doesn't hit a bump and shift into gear while being towed.

A big blocking plate rig like that would look like crap mounted inside your truck, wouldn't it? And it STILL wouldn't be enough to get your insurance protections back.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

What's the point?

Why expose yourself to liability issues that arise out of defeating an important safety device?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Or have big shoes and learn how to "Heel and Toe" ;o)

There are PLENTY of people that believe that if their vehicle has chunky tread, they are in a 4x4.

There are micro switches available that slip over the gear stick and shold it be in anything BUT neutral it wont let you start the car.

Reply to
Scotty