Clutch is not fully disengaging in reverse

Hey I got a 83 toyota 22r truck and sometimes the clutch doe's not always fully disengaging in reverse. But this only happens when the engine is warm. But most of the time when the engine is cold it goes in to reverse just fine. I do not what is up with my clutch. Sometimes it getting really bad and I need to shut off the engine. Just to get it in to reverse that is how bad it is sometimes. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Could you clarify a little for me? I'm just wondering when you say the clutch does not disengage for reverse is this to go into reverse or to come out of reverse.

Either way sounds like possibly the clutch is low on fluid or has air bubbles.... or the clutch itself is slipping and gone. if your going down the highway in your top gear (4th or 5th) and you step on the gas does it increase rpm greatly without speeding up? (ie slipping clutch) if so I'd blame your clutch. If not then I'd lean towards the fluid problem... Check the fluid level and bleed the clutch lines. Also you could check the fluid levels in your tranny itself.

Whenever I get a new truck I always find it good to drain all the fluids and replace them. Takes a bit of work but it is always worth it and can give you an idea of how the last guy took care of it.

Stephen

Reply to
Toshi38

Pull the gear shift lever out and you will see a mangled piece of plastic at the bottom. Replace that and your problem will probably disappear. Stop by Toyota and pick one up before disassembly. The bushing (?) only costs a few bucks, and is a common wear item.

Reply to
Sam in Savannah

I am sorry I should have said it will not go into reverse gear.And I have already replaced that bushing thing And thanks for all the input. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

any luck with toping up your clutch?

Reply to
Toshi38

No not let.Maybe I guess will try bleading the slave cylinder. As soon as I find out how to do it. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

No not let.Maybe I guess will try bleading the slave cylinder. As soon as I find out how to do it. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Its pretty easy... a Haynes manual will have in depth instructions. Just make sure you have some DOT3 on hand

Reply to
Toshi38

Yea I will see if I can find a Haynes manual for my year and make. But last time I checked my 2 auto parts stores did not have one. in any brand for my year and make. Thanks for all the help Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello