Clutch or Transmission

Hi,

I have a 1994 V6 Toyota Truck manual 5 speed.

Recently shifting into 3rd and 4th gear fill tight. I don't have to force the stick in but it fills snug sliding in.

I will take in to the dealer soon but need advice of what to expect. Adjust clutch replace clutch or transmission problems?

It has 138,000 miles and I don't remember ever replacing the clutch.

Any info or amo for dealing with the dealer is appreciated.

Tee

Reply to
Tee

I wouldn't expect a clutch problem to only affect 3rd and 4th gears. Either the clutch is slipping or it isn't. Has the trans fluid been changed? If not, I'd do that first. You might consider replacing the fluid with a synthetic. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

If a clutch is starting to slip, you will notice it in the higher gears first. There isn't as much torque against the clutch (usually) in the lower gears.

GC

Reply to
Chips

I'd definably second the changing of fluids... it does wonders for an old tranny in my experience. just make sure that you get the correct fluid for your tranny otherwise it isn't realy going to help also you could find that your sycro's are going but i dunno if thats as much of a problem on the newer toyota trucks or not

Reply to
Toshi38

While trying to get the transmission fluid checked this weekend the mechanic stripped the fill plug head.

Guess I have to live with the problem till I get rid of the truck or something goes out completely?

Reply to
Gottheball1

Head or thread? If its the head go buy a new one for $4! If its the thread, get the dopey bastard to replace the unit or fix it!

Reply to
Scotty

even if it is the threads just yank your tranny and throw it on the workbench... take a drill to it and install a heli coil or retap it by hand... (a heli coil will be stronger then original as long as you do it right) you could also try various thread repair compounds and such... although i've had good luck with heli coils

Reply to
Toshi38

Stuff that!! If someone else did it let them fix it!

Reply to
Scotty