Clutch Problem

I have an '85 Toyota pickup with a 4 speed manual tranny and hydraulic clutch. I have to push the peddle all the way down to get it to shift properly and when turned off and transmission in gear, the clutch will not hold the truck on any type of incline and even on flat surfaces I can move the truck if I lean on the hood. It seems like the clutch doesn't fully engage or disengage. I have replaced the fluid already. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

not an expert so if i have a dumb idea dont bite at me. Clutch cable, master cylinder, work out clutch, just an idea

Reply to
mudmonkey

It's a hydraulic clutch, there is no cable -- which is what makes it hydraulic by the way.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

When you are driving along at say, 25, in 3rd gear and give it the gas, does the truck speed up, or does the engine race with little or no change in speed?

If the latter, and with the other symptoms you cite, I'm going with a badly worn out clutch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

How many miles on the clutch? If you bled the air out of the system when you replaced the fluid, my vote would be for a worn out clutch disc, with the information you've given so far. With the engine off and in gear you should not be able to push the truck without turning the engine over. Another check we used years ago was to nudge up to a big tree, rev the engine up a little in 2nd gear and ease the clutch out. It should kill the engine immediately. If it doesn't, your clutch is wore out. A leaking main seal could cause a slipping clutch but it wouldn't cause you to have to push the pedal to the floor.

Reply to
OldPhart

Good call!

If the engine is spinning when you push the truck, you have a worn out motor that has very low compression.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was mearly pointing out what few things i know about transmitions. sue me for trying to point out things that may be to obvious to some.

Reply to
mudmonkey

I get that. I was hoping to teach you that a hydraulic clutch, by definition, has no cable.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Your clutch is shot. Have it done by a shop. For that truck it should only run around $450. You can buy the clutch kit for around $118, but you need to get the truck in the air and be able to drop the tranny out to replace it.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Been there, done that many times over. No problemo. While I am at it I may want to just go ahead and replace the tranny as it needs a rebuild. The syncros are out, occasional grinding of gears. While I am at it, the axle seal and universals need replacing. But I also only paid $300 for this beater.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Okay, I just checked with Autozone for rebuild kits for the transmission. There are appears to be about 4 different 4 speed transmissions. How do I find out what one I have?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

And without being sarcastic, no less... :>))

Reply to
TOM

Usually by the VIN. there is also a stamp on the casing.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Nope.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Just tried pushing it and the motor spins. Hey, it only has 191,000 miles on it! Starts and runs good most of the time, but always starts. Looks like it is just a case of worn rings. I'll have to do a compression test tomorrow, raining today.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Okay, where on the casing?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

| >> How many miles on the clutch? If you bled the air out of the system when | >> you replaced the fluid, my vote would be for a worn out clutch disc, | >> with the information you've given so far. With the engine off and in | >> gear you should not be able to push the truck without turning the engine | >> over. | >

| > Good call! | >

| > If the engine is spinning when you push the truck, you have a worn out | > motor that has very low compression. | >

| | Just tried pushing it and the motor spins. Hey, it only has 191,000 miles | on it! Starts and runs good most of the time, but always starts. Looks | like it is just a case of worn rings. I'll have to do a compression test | tomorrow, raining today. | |

Now I am confused. Are you now saying that your clutch problem is due to worn rings?

We used to push start cars all of the time when the battery wouldn't turn over the engine. Were we only able to do that because the engine had low compression? I think not. We mostly used 2nd gear to turn over the engine but I have done it in 1st and reverse when necessary. We wouldn't have been able to do it if the clutch was bad though.

Another thought. It will take two people. Push the clutch pedal to the floor while someone is watching the slave cylinder. See if it will hold the pressure plate open or not. If it doesn't hold you have problems with the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.

BTW, 191,000 miles is a lot for an original clutch. Any idea whether it has been replaced or not?

Reply to
OldPhart

\

Yes, that's what he is saying. More accurately, his complaint is that the truck moves when parked. He thought the clutch was not holding, but it turns out the engine is not holding.

You push start a with a bit of speed, you push the car to a mph or two, select the desired gear and dump the clutch to turn the motor over. The OP complains that his truck will roll down his driveway even if parked in gear. The compression on the motor is not sufficient to hold the truck where he parks it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

191,000 | > miles | > | on it! Starts and runs good most of the time, but always starts. | > Looks | > | like it is just a case of worn rings. I'll have to do a compression | > test | > | tomorrow, raining today. | > | | > | | >

| > Now I am confused. Are you now saying that your clutch problem is due to | > worn rings? | >

| \ | | | Yes, that's what he is saying. More accurately, his complaint is that the | truck moves when parked. He thought the clutch was not holding, but it turns | out the engine is not holding. | | You push start a with a bit of speed, you push the car to a mph or two, | select the desired gear and dump the clutch to turn the motor over. The OP | complains that his truck will roll down his driveway even if parked in gear. | The compression on the motor is not sufficient to hold the truck where he | parks it. |

His original post: I have an '85 Toyota pickup with a 4 speed manual tranny and hydraulic clutch. I have to push the peddle all the way down to get it to shift properly and when turned off and transmission in gear, the clutch will not hold the truck on any type of incline and even on flat surfaces I can move the truck if I lean on the hood. It seems like the clutch doesn't fully engage or disengage. I have replaced the fluid already. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks.

Mike D.

Now! If the clutch is faulty and not engaged, the truck will roll down the hill. He did not say that the engine was turning over. Please read all of the posts and comment again.

Reply to
OldPhart

You're right, but he said in another post that the motor turns when he leans on the truck. That leads us to think the compression is low.

You gave us his original post, but somebody picked up on the LACK of complaint that the clutch is slipping while driving, but only "slips" when parked -- he diagnosed the movement of the truck as a slipping clutch, but he has since found out that the motor turns when the truck is moving. The clutch holds, the motor does not.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland