Clutch Questions ('89 P/U) and a Clutch Story

I have a 1989 model Toyota Pickup w/ 22RE engine and W56 tranny. However, my truck was manufactured in Sep 1988. That's where things get tricky. Because apparently, Toyota made significant changes between 1988 and 1989.

To me, a 1989 model vehicle is a 1989 vehicle. But I've had some people tell me that parts of my vehicle may be 1988 versions. Specifically, I'm looking to buy an Exedy clutch kit and they have two different parts: one for years

1981 to 1988; the other for years 1989 to 1995. In my mind, I should be getting the latter part (89 - 95), but the seller e-mailed me the following:

"Due to our O.E.M. database, all manufactured 1988 Toyota pickup 22RE, the correct clutch kit for your truck is [the 81 - 88 part]."

Is the supplier correct? Could someone shed some additional light on this?

Reply to
DeepDiver

scott and barb

If it does strip out, just use helicoil to repair it. Is in an accessible place. Then it will be stronger than before. I would not try to over torque the screws anyway. Think your issue is only an isolated incident because somone did not tighten the screw in the first place.

Reply to
benmlee

Safetywire, in my opinion, would be your best option. I do alot of it working on aircraft for the Air Force and it's a simple way of being sure the fastener won't loosen much. But instead of installing studs and then nuts why not just get bolts drilled for safetywire or drill them yourself.

Mac

Reply to
Mac