clutch release bearing or not?

Here's the situation. My 95 taco v6 4wd. During idle or while moving, regardless of the RPM, a "bearing-like" sound can be heard. It's kind of like a whistle. Like I said, it doesn't matter if it's in gear or not, nothing changes the sound, except one thing. If I push the clutch in 1" or more, the sound stops. It only happens when the clutch is fully out.

I just had the truck at the shop for somehting else and asked about it and they told me it was the release bearing, but the RB seems wrong.

any ideas?

Eric

Reply to
Eric Sabine

Eric,

I vote for the shop and the Release Bearing. When you do not have your foot on the clutch (whether the transmission is in gear or not), there is no pressure on the Release Bearing. (A Release Bearing is also known as a Throw Out bearing.) The Release Bearing can create a whistle or whine sound when it becomes worn.

When you depress the clutch one inch you have put pressure on the Release Bearing and that pressure stops the Release Bearing from "whistling".

To replace the Release Bearing, the transmission has to be removed. Depending on the mileage and your expertise with the clutch now would be a good time to replace the clutch friction disk and examine the flywheel and pressure plate. If you decide to replace the clutch friction disk, you should replace all wear items in the clutch assembly. This includes the Release Bearing, the Pressure Plate.

Good Luck,

Ken - West Union, SC Population 270 + 2 (counting dogs and chickens) "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rodgers

Reply to
RunnerBiker
1" or | >more, the sound stops. It only happens when the clutch is fully out. | >

| >I just had the truck at the shop for somehting else and asked about it and | >they told me it was the release bearing, but the RB seems wrong. | >

| >any ideas? | >

| >Eric | >

| | Eric, | | I vote for the shop and the Release Bearing. When you do not have your | foot on the clutch (whether the transmission is in gear or not), there | is no pressure on the Release Bearing. (A Release Bearing is also | known as a Throw Out bearing.) The Release Bearing can create a | whistle or whine sound when it becomes worn. | | When you depress the clutch one inch you have put pressure on the | Release Bearing and that pressure stops the Release Bearing from | "whistling". | | To replace the Release Bearing, the transmission has to be removed. | Depending on the mileage and your expertise with the clutch now would | be a good time to replace the clutch friction disk and examine the | flywheel and pressure plate. If you decide to replace the clutch | friction disk, you should replace all wear items in the clutch | assembly. This includes the Release Bearing, the Pressure Plate. | | Good Luck, | | Ken - West Union, SC Population 270 + 2 (counting dogs and chickens) | "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will | Rodgers

Gee, this is just the opposite to what I have found in the past on non Toyota T.O. bearings. I.E. the bearing is not turning until it is engaged by depressing the clutch pedal. According to the Haynes manual it could be binding against the Transmission input shaft though.

I had a clutch noise that turned out to be the release fork vibrating against the clutch slave cylinder shaft. Axle grease stopped it until we replaced both the master and slave cylinders. (The master started leaking).

Reply to
Jarhead

Pilot bearing.

Reply to
M.Paul

Here's additional info.

This shop just did a new clutch (1 month ago) and, get this, and the release bearing. The whisting existed before they replaced that release bearing and the sound exists now. That's why I didn't think it was the release bearing because the sound didn't go away after the RB was changed out.

M.Paul has suggested it is the pilot bearing. What do you think?

Eric

Reply to
Eric Sabine

Hey, M is the pilot bearing at the engine end of the pilot shaft, or is it at the transmission end? I'm going to guess that it is at the engine end of the pilot shaft.

For the pilot bearing to be making noise the pilot shaft would have to be turning in the pilot bearing.

Here are the combinations: (Engine is running in all cases except #7)

CLUTCH TRANS Truck Pilot Bearing

1 Disengaged Neutral Stationary Not turning 2 Disengaged Neutral Moving Not turning 3 Engaged Neutral Stationary Not turning 4 Engaged Neutral Moving Not turning 5 Disengaged Any Gear Stationary Turning 6 Disengaged Any Gear Moving Turning 7 Engaged Any Gear Stationary Not turning Stalled 8 Engaged Any Gear Moving Not turning

I only see two cases where the pilot bearing would be turning. Someone please check this logic. If the noise happens in one of the other cases, it is not coming from the pilot bearing.

I would have to wonder why the "shop" would change the clutch and Release Bearing, but not the pilot bearing. Did they replace the pressure plate? Was your "shop" an official Toyota Service shop?

Ken

Reply to
RunnerBiker

The shop was a Goodyear service shop. Nice guys, I use them for the stuff I can't do. I have a decent level of trust with them because my company brings all company cars there, so they typically don't bite the hands that feed them.

The reason they changed the release bearing was that was actually the reason I brought the truck there last month. The noise was from the release bearing (here's that thread actually

When thetruck was in, I agreed that since the tranny was open, do the clutch(original at 125k miles). So they replaced the release bearing and the release bearing sound went away. This other sound that I started this thread about existed before the RB was changed.

Eric

RunnerBiker wrote:

Reply to
Eric Sabine

Eric

Reply to
charles bridges

I think I second that, but if a new clutch was put in they should have replaced the PSB. Joe

Reply to
Joseph Myers

How about in the back end of the crankshaft.

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Pilot bearing sounds reasonable considering the other things. Unfortunately, that means the tranny comes out again.

I changed a clutch on a mercedes 1984 220D @ 250,000 miles... the only reason I changed the clutch was because the throwout bearing failed. The pressure plate was still strong and the disc still had 75% thickness as compared to the new Sachs unit.

Reply to
Celica Dude