Clutch Replacement

I need to replace the clutch in a 1994 4x4 3.0 SR5. I live in Baltimore MD and have been given an estimate of $890 to replace the clutch (using a kit), recondition the flywheel, replace the rear seal and change fluids in the rear. It's been about 12 years since I replaced a clutch in a 1984 Toyota 4X4 and I seem to remember that costing about $400.

They have estimated $310 in parts and $580 in labor.

Does this sound like a reasonable price? I'm pretty good working with wood but know little about trucks.

Thanks,

Mike Becker

Reply to
mbec2

Sounds good to me

Reply to
joe

I'd call and get several estimates.

Reply to
JeB

That seems about right.

BVette2k

Reply to
BVette2K

i had the same done on my 93 except new clutch (not a kit) in Philly Pa, it cost me $1100. I would think your getting a good deal. i had a couple of other things done at the same time, like a new slave cylinder, and tranny mount.

Reply to
Matt C.

Mike, I replaced the clutch in my '85 Extra Cab a week ago and it cost me a total of about $130. I bought a clutch kit at Auto Zone for about $76. This included a new clutch disk, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing and clutch alignment tool. I also replaced the clutch slave cylinder and drained and refilled the gear oil. I don't exactly know the quality of a $76 clutch kit but Auto Zone gave me a lifetime warranty on it. My son and I did the work ourselves. Neither of us is a Toyota mechanic but it was a fairly simple job and took us a total of about 7 hours from start to finish. The last time I replaced a clutch was on my '57 Ford sedan about 35 years ago so you might figure I was a little bit rusty. To do the job yourself you'll need a jack and 4 jackstands and a small asssortment of metric sockets. I think we used a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and a

19mm and you'll need about 12-16" of extentions. We used a 3/8 drive socket set and that was plenty big. We also had combination wrenches in the corresponding sizes. You might want to add an additional $20 for a Haynes manual. I believe that even if you don't have metric sockets you could buy a good set, a jack that will give you about 18-20" of lift and 4 jackstands and still be a couple of hundred dollars ahead and have some nice tools ready for your next project if you do the work yourself. If you already have the necessary tools you'll be a lot better off financially if you do the work yourself. I feel that paying $800 or more for a simple job such as this is robbery. Good luck. Jerry

PS You might also need a bearing puller to remove the pilot bearing from the back of the crankshaft. We didn't use one. We went with a dowel that was the same size as the tip of the pilot shaft and filled the hole with grease and pounded out the bearing with pressure. It worked okay but it did make a mess. We found grease had shot out the rear of the truck about

30 feet. If you use this method be sure to use some rags to catch the grease that squirts out when you hit the dowel. jj
Reply to
Jerry

I also had the flywheel reground. That cost another $28 at my local clutch/brake dealer. jj

Reply to
Jerry

"" wrote: > In article , > snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says... > >

:D hey that sounds pretty interesting. However, I am not sure this is something I?d want to try without someone who had done it and knew the ins and outs. I have heard you have to change ?the throwaway bold? and the universal joints. I am a Sysadmin and not afraid of technology, but I don?t want to get the thing apart and then realize I don?t have something that did not come with the kit. Can you offer any advice about the gotchas and what to look our for? I have an 89 Toyota 4WD pickup with the 2.2 litre engine. I found the clutch replacement kit for $150. I am just not sure if I should go down this road. I?d like to save the $700 and my family could use it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
cbw_1968

"" wrote: > In article > , > jjones snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... > >

Would it be too much to ask you to list the steps to do this in order? Also, I read that you got the throw out bearing and pilot bearing in the clutch kit. Did it come with all the bolts you needed? What would you recommend I buy to be on the safe side in addition to the clutch?

Reply to
cbw_1968

sounds reasonable to me ... take in mind the cheapest isnt always the best!

I am righht now putting in a Spec Kevlar clutch ... get a good clutch as thats the smallest cost of the whole deal.

Matt