Clutch Replacement Cost - 1990 SR5 V6 4x4 with ADD hubs

Greetings!

After 217K miles on the original clutch, my clutch is starting to occasionally slip. As the original owner of the truck, I have no complaints about getting ONLY 217K out of it.

I have started getting some quotes to have the clutch replaced. I live in the Seattle, WA area (Woodinville).

My quotes are coming in around $800-$900. These are from independent shops and not dealerships.

On the low end of the range they are not using OEM parts. On the high end of the range they are specifying OEM parts.

I am not all that mechanically inclined and will want to have someone do the work.

As an aside, this has been a GREAT truck. I bought my truck new in January, 1990. I finally had to replace the front brake pads and rotors at 150K. I am still on the original rear drums.

I have gone through three sets of tires and batteries. Did the timing belt at 90K with the truck was going through the head-gasket recall campaign.

Anyway, does this price range for the clutch replacment seem correct?

TIA,

-Chris

Reply to
Chris Pollard

Yikes!

Figure parts at $100-$200. So, about $700 for labor...

This is why I do my own labor!

Chris Pollard wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

thats definatly what i'd expect to pay at a shop... you can save yourself alot of money to do it yourself.... i did mine pritty easily when i had the engine out but you can easily do it with the engine in.... just pop the truck up.... its alot easier to do on a truck then on a small car i'd say !

Reply to
Toshi38

Whatever you decide, make sure whoever does the work doesn't use Parts Master parts. My throwout bearing only has 13k miles on it and it's already talking to me.

Reply to
chuck

That price range sounds about right to me. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello