Clutch Trouble

'85 SR5 Extra Cab

22RE w/5Speed 2WD

About 2 weeks ago I started having clutch problems. (Actually the clutch started to chatter upon takeoff in 1st last summer but didn't get any worse so I just kept on driving it) The problem lately has been that it's starting to slip in 4th gear when trying to get up to freeway speed. I haven't felt/heard it slip in any of the other gears yet. Yesterday I went to start it up and I don't have any clutch at all. The pedal goes to the floor with just one finger pressure. I got under it and watched while my wife pressed the pedal and it looks to me like the rod that comes out of the slave cylinder only pushes the clutch arm back about an eighth of an inch. How far is that pushrod supposed to travel? It appears to me that maybe either my clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder is shot. Or maybe that's all the further that the pushrod is supposed to travel. I suppose that it's just coincidence that it just started to slip recently and the release system failure or could these problems be related? Next question: Does the clutch master cylinder take any special fluid or does it use brake fluid? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jerry

PS If you'd prefer to answer these questions via e:mail, just take one of the zeroes out of my return address. jj

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry schrieb:

I suppose you just get a new clutch and the throw-out-bearing serviced. Should be fine, then.

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

"Jerry" sez:

Most clutch designs will limit the travel of the pressure plate so the friction plate does not wear to the point where the rivets holding the friction material to the metal disk begin eating into the pressure plate and/or flywheel surfaces. I suspect that this is the case with your vehicle ... it has simply worn out. You need to replace the friction disk and throwout bearing. If the pressure plate does not have any broken fingers, it should be good. If needed, the flywheel can be resurfaced by a machine shop.

You have a choice to either pull the engine out the front or pull the tranny out the back. It is usually more straightforward to pull the engine on 4x4s rather than the tranny/transfer case, etc.

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj