compass in 09 taco

I want to put a compass in my truck but due to the electronics and magnetic field I cannot get one of the add on ones from auto zone etc. to work. Would a G P S work? All I will need is an intersection and direction of travel. If you think this will do the job, what brand and how much should it cost? Thanks all

Reply to
Herb Eneva

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) found these unused words:

GPS will work as long as it can 'see the sky'. It's nn-magnetic, so no metal interference.

Get the best you can afford. There's major differences in reception, thus continuous readouts.

There may still be some 'hand' units with attachable [extra] antenna. Put the antenna onto the glass [suction cup] and mount the hand unit where you can see, but itsn't distracting.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

The garmin compass screen looks like this:

RonP

I had the same problem with my Tundra. Now, I use a Garmin 60CSX handheld, the one I use for geocaching, in my Tundra. It sits on the dash in a friction mount (beanbag). It's never needed an auxiliary antenna and works just fine with the one it comes with. Besides the compass, the screen gives Speed, Distance and Time to next waypoint and ETA to destination. It has another page with a trip computer: odometer, trip odometer, max speed, moving time and average, time stopped and average and elevation.

With maps you can program it to addresses, intersections or just about anything else you can do with the street pilot or nuvi models. Amazon has them from $200. I find it amazing how such a small thing can do so much.

Here's a picture, a little small but you'll get the idea

Or, you can get a more expensive compass that you can adjust for variating/declination (the difference between true north and magnatic north) and deviation (the effect metal and electronics have on the compass.

Reply to
Skipfromla

Skipfromla found these unused words:

Only reason to need the 'booster' antenna is when you're under trees or other areas that every bit of singal is needed. It also helps NOT to have the unit visible to 'others'.

Most TOL GPS have an option for 'true' and magnetic' north display. However that file has to be updated yearly.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien