Confused about results?

I had a new muffler installed on my 1991 Toyota 4x4, about two months ago. After that I changed the plugs, cap, wires, rotor, filter, and had the oil changed. Now a few weeks after the fact it seems like my truck is running like it has never been taken care of. I love my truck and do not mind sinking some money into it. I was told my the muffler shop that the muffler would not affect the flow, as far as constricting it. Now my starter is going out, I get the all to familiar "click" some times. I can deal with that because I know what it is. However, my concern is this. If my starter is going out, will the fuel pump still pump fuel into the cylinders, with the key turned "on" even if the starter is not turning. The reason I ask is because when the truck starts I get the famous black/grey fuel rich smoke out the tailpipe, how embarrassing. Please advise. If need be I can go further in depth.

Reply to
toyotalover

check timing, if it too advanced, then the starter has to work harder, and will go out.

j.

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking