coolant in oil

Hello all,

I have a 1986 toyota pick up 22R motor. There is coolant in the oil. I checked the timing cover and it is good. No hole, no gouging. The head was taken in to the machine shop to get resurfaced and have some corrosion fixed on the edges of the combustion chambers. It was definitely burning coolant. But can a head cause coolant to go to the oil as well? I want to see if I can narrow this problem down. I bought a new timing cover thinking that was the problem, but I do not see anything wrong with this cover for now. Thanks!!!

Sal

Reply to
sal

Sal the head can defiantly cause your problem as there are oil galleries that run in the head close to water galleries and you have corrosion see if it is close to any of the oil galleries.

Good Luck Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe,

Thanks so much for your response. I always thought head/head gasket problems meant oil in coolant, not vice versa, but from your answer I see it can go both ways from there.

I have looked at the timing cover closely and can find no problems.. The plastic chain guide was broken, but remained in place, thus protecting the cover. So, that cover is going back on and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the guys at the machine shop will properly take care of the corrosion.

Have a great weekend!!

Sal

Reply to
sal

Absolutely yes, the head can cause coolant to get into the oil. More precisely, the Head Gasket can cause coolant to get into the combustion chamber and the oil.

I want to see if I can narrow this problem down. I

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The cover can go back on, but be sure to use all new gaskets on everything.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff,

thanks so much for your response and I apologize that it's taken me this long to say thanks.

FYI, the motor is back together and running like a champ now!! woo hooooo

have a great Sunday,

Sal

Reply to
sal