cooling system leak

My '90 Corolla has a mysterious leak. One and half months ago, i just installed a new aftermarket rad bought it from the web site. New OEM rad cap 7 new coolant. Just 3 days ago, the temp needle gauge went up to the middle of the temp range gauge, usually temp needle rested at about 1/3 of the temp range. Immediately, I opened the cap and found Ilost a quart of coolant including the water in the overflow tank. I noted somewhere at the i/3 location of the rad leaking coolant after engine shut down. Today i drove and checed and found no leak. Water in therad is full. Any idea to inpoint the leak? Any response is appreciated.

Reply to
Matt

Your air bubble finally was burped out of the radiator with warmer weather. The temperature went up because there's less water flowing?

Radiator cap was not seal> My '90 Corolla has a mysterious leak. One and half months ago, i just

-- Address is NOT monitored due to SPAM volume from newsgroups. DO NOT REPLY to post directly.

Reply to
Don't Reply to this address

Matt, Any number of things can cause fluid leak...Other guy might be right, could just be consequence of installing a new radiator. Its common for new radiators to need to "settle" after you put in your fluids after it is installed because of trapped air. However, your problem may involve your overflow canister. Ive never worked on a Carolla, but I know my pickup has radiator fluid overflow. When the radiator heats up, the fluid expands and gets pushed into this little overflow bottle. In my own particular case, my overflow was cracked and leaking, so when the truck got hot, the fluid would escape into the overflow and leak from there. Your carolla heated up because you were low on water, and not enough fluids were circulating throughout the engine.

To determine possible leaks, inspect your overflow canister and look for cracks, or crusty green material that has collected around any hoses that go to or come from your radiator (that is, assuming you have anti-freeze in your radiator). You probably also have some radiator hoses that run across your firewall and travel through into the cab of your car. Look for crusty material around connections of any of these hoses, or for cracks. If you find a crusty or leaking hose, just tighten it.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you might have a leaky radiator.

:-) Lisa, Colorado

Reply to
LisalouLiLRed