correct spark plugs for V6 4runner

I just finished replacing the original plugs in my 2000 4runner. I went on line and found Autolite platinum plugs. Well, AFTER I get them in, I notice in the owners manual there's warnings about NOT using the single electrode plug. I'm suppose to use the two electrode plug. Can someone tell me WHY? And, will I damage the engine if I leave the autolite plugs in? I was getting pretty bad gas mileage so I thought new plugs would help. The engine has 61k and the old plugs didn't look all that bad.

Thanks

Lloyd Hanning

Reply to
Lloyd Hanning

I just finished replacing the original plugs in my 2000 4runner. I went on line and found Autolite platinum plugs. Well, AFTER I get them in, I notice in the owners manual there's warnings about NOT using the single electrode plug. I'm suppose to use the two electrode plug. Can someone tell me WHY? And, will I damage the engine if I leave the autolite plugs in? I was getting pretty bad gas mileage so I thought new plugs would help. The engine has 61k and the old plugs didn't look all that bad.

Thanks

Lloyd Hanning

Reply to
Lloyd Hanning

Why did you change them if they looked okay? I think that you should install the old ones asap so that no damage is done by hotspots etc in the pistons/chambers. If you think that your fuel consumptions out Id be looking at the airfilter, then your fuel then maybe plugs but if they are okay, try the rest first.

Let us know how you went

Reply to
Scotty

Scott: When I took the 4runner in to the dealer for a wheel alignment, the guy said I need to have the plugs replaced as they're only 50k plugs in there. I had changed the air filter about a month ago. Yeah, it could be the fuel. I just don't understand the deal with the spark plugs. It's similar to the fuel filter. According to Toyota's FAQ, the fuel filter is typically not a scheduled maintenance item and is only changed when necessary....What kind of answer is THAT? Do I wait until I'm stuck on the side of the road to change it? When does it become necessary? Well, anyway, I'm getting off the subject. Putting those old plugs back in is a pain, but if that's what I have to do, that's what I'll do!

Thanks

Lloyd Hanning

Reply to
Lloyd Hanning

From what I have heard (Ive always used the right ones) incorrect plugs can cause hot spots causeing premature engine failure. Thats the worts case senario Id say but hey why change whats the deigned unit for the vehicle. Can you buy new correct plugs from around where you are? Thats the direction Id go. Fuel filters, I change mine each 2 years when I do a full service (which is done yearly) for the cost of the filter its stuff all seeing as some fuels these days are of questionable quality.

Reply to
Scotty

all plugs are single electrode. they may have dual grounds though. dual grounds help promote MSD (multiple spark discharge) which "may" promote a better burn.

toyota wants you to spend our hard-earned money.

no worries, as long as what you put in is a cross-reference to the oem plug (same heat range) you're fine.

i use standard Autolite plugs (the 99cent ones) on my 96 4runner and 02 tacoma, and i replace them once per year. they look like new when i take them out, but i still put new ones in. it's cost effective and keeps my ignition happy.

Reply to
Kryptoknight