Cost to replace the head gasket on a 22r????

I have a 1984 4x4 toyota pickup with a 22r (carburated), no power steering or a/c. I just discovered that the truck has a blown head gasket and I will have to take it to a mechanic to get it repaired.

Just wondering what a reasonable estimate to repair the head gasket would be. The preliminary estimate I got was $900 which to me seems too high. Does any one have any expierence with this that can tell me how much they paid or how much i should pay????

Thanks, Shane

Reply to
guitsurf11

fact, I want to say mine was closer to the 1300-1400 range (at Toyota however).

Reply to
Ryan 25

you can probably get a completely rebuilt engine for a little more than that.

Reply to
JeB

Does that cost include replacing the timing chain? Do you know if the head warped when you blew the gasket? That might drive the cost of the repair...

My first 86 blew a head gasket at 80K miles. The head needed machining. And since the timing chain was due to be replaced at 90K, I just did it while they were in there. This was in 89. The cost then was ~$1000.

Cappy

Reply to
Cappy

Just had my head gasket changed for the second time. Both times it was in the $900 range. The first time, it blew in cylinder #3. The head was heliarced and machned. The second time, about 4 years later, it blew in cylinder #2. Again, it was heliarced and machined. The mechanic told me these were the two areas that gave problems with the 22R (mine's a

1988), and I should not have any more problems.

I had the timing chain replaced about 6 months before the head gasket blew the first time, so got to pay twice... :

Reply to
TOM