Cruise Control - Aftermarket?

I just bought a 2002 Tacoma (4cy-5 speed) and would like to add cruise control. The local toyota dealer wants $300 for the part and $300 to install for a total cost of $600. I will not be using this feature very much and this cost seems excessive. What is the experience with aftermarket alternatives?

Thanks,

Archer Gravely Asheville, NC

Reply to
Archer Gravely

Cruise from $140, less than 2 hours to install holds steady +/- 1 mph or so.

lifetime warranty on parts

alternatives?

Reply to
I'm Right

I used to install stereos and cruise controls up in Hampton Roads area. circa 1983. The kits were all pretty easy to install. Never had any returns, so I think the after market systems must have a good grasp of customer satisfaction.

Having said that, go talk to a mechanic. Find out what he'd be willing to be responsible for. Returns, warranty work, etc. doesn't pay. a good mechanic will be able to provide clues. A good stereo/car electronic mechanic would be good, but you have to get to the mechanic without the salesperson peering over your shoulder.

Reply to
?reality

Reply to
Roger Brown

I used an Audiovox CC unit in my VW. Installed easily and works well. Cost about $100:

Roger Brown

snipped-for-privacy@unca.edu (Archer Gravely) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Audiovox makes an (apparently) nice unit for $100 that is an easy install and works well. It's just been discovered by the Miata guys (that don't want to pay $300 for stock parts either)

Reply to
MLB

sounds about right for a dealer.... i read the other posts, they sound like the better option...

alternatives?

Reply to
Kryptoknight