DAMNIT!! Leaking Freon from hole in AC hose! Toyota PU 4x4 EFI '88

I came outside to my truck this morning to a very nasty sound. A very distinct hissssss was petruding from somewhere under the hood, so I was quick to pop it and find where the sound was coming from. The Air Conditioning hose has rubbed against the battery so much that a groove has started a sprung a leak. By the time I had patched it up and stopped the leak, it was too late-- the freon was all gone and the AC did not work at all.

DAMNIT! DAMNIT I SAY! How much will a replacement of this stuff cost me at a mechanics?! Someone had to guts to tell me that they'd try to change the whole AC system because if I used a certain Freon, they would'nt be able to refill it-- thus, an AC overhaul. How much does a refill of this stuff cost for anyone that has had the same problem?

Please! It gets 110+ here in the Summer and I NEED AC!

Reply to
Shinnokxz

The AC you currently have can be recharged with the old R-12 refrigerant, but since it is no longer in production and supplies are running out it doesn't come cheap. You can figure anywhere from $25.00-$50.00 per pound and will need somewhere around 2-5 pounds. Conversion to the new R-134A refrigerant would probably cost about $200-$300 parts and labor. You can't use the new r-13a in the old system either. It will ruin what you have left of the old system from what I understand. Unless you can pick up the old stuff cheap and don't need much, conversion will likely be the cheapest in the long run.

Reply to
MFINJA

I guess my only saint is-- how do I check if it already has been converted before?

Reply to
Shinnokxz

"Shinnokxz" wrote

Jeeze louise just take it to the ac shop and have it checked. The conversion to 134a should run about $100-$150. *If* you need it plus whatever it takes to fix your leak. It's no big deal just had it done to a Camry.

Reply to
Patrick Weaver

Check out this website. They have great information on conversions, kits and equipment. I just did a conversion on my old 84 Toyota 4x4.

here is their forum site for questions and answers

N. Funk