Dashoard smoking on 1994 Toyota Pickup - HELP!!

Recently, my dashboard started smoking. Only gauge working is oil pressure. I unplugged just the largest plug which was the side where the board was hot in the back and no more smoking - Is this a ground problem? I have in the past noticed my speedometer and RPM gauge drop, but just momentarily. I have another used instrument cluster, but I don't want to ruin it, should I check the grounds, i.e where the speedometer/etc goes into the transmission??

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Steve

Steve,

I don't believe that a missing or intermittent ground is causing the smoking, but, intermittent grounds DO cause intermittent gauge operation. Here are a couple of questions please;

Has there ever been any electronic 'add-ons' or upgrades like Fog Lights, Radio, Cigarette Lighter, whatever?

Was the car ever 'hit'

Best regards,

RG

Reply to
RG

You might want to try one of those nicotine patches for it. LOL

Reply to
max-income

It's unlikely that this is an intermittent ground because of the excessive heat involved. Most likely you have a short in the wiring harness that connects to the panel or a short in side your old instrument panel. Try poking around with a volt meter. What seem odd to me is that the fuse in for the fused accessory circut didn't go. That fuse should have blown imediately if there was a short in your fused accessory circut. Check in the fuse box to see what type of fuse you have in that circut. If i remember correctly its a 15 amp fuse (double check your manual). If you have the wrong fuse make sure to replace it to avoid shorting out sensitive instruments like your rpm gague.

Reply to
Anders