did toyota make an auto truck before 98?

hey all;

Still looking for a truck; but i can't find what im looking for: Did Toyota put an auto tranny in the tacoma/small trucks before 98 or so? If so, are they pretty decent transmissions? 2nd question, would i be better off with like a 90-94 model or the Tacoma (95?-up) is there any real difference between the two styles other than sheet metal?

thanks everyone

TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

I have a 96 Tacoma with a 4 speed automatic transmission. LOVE IT!! I have

Reply to
Captain Henk

"Trailblazer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Taco's started in Feb 95, known as 95.5's. All the parts I've looked at are for 96+, don't think much carried over. Pretty sure it was a complete redesign. Overhead cam engine, 4 speed automatic, new body, etc.

116? vs 140 hp (I think) On the other hand the older 22R motors are legendary for reliability. Don't know if the newer ones measure up. (or can yet, since they aren't THAT old yet).
Reply to
MLB

Sure, they had auto trans before 98. I also have a 96 Tacoma with automatic, and it has been fantastic! However, they didn't start making Tacomas until I think what they called a 95.5 model year, when the small toyota truck was named "Tacoma". Until then, it was just the Tacoma pickup truck, although originally, it was called a "Hilux".

Reply to
rollee

yea they did from the 70's even

Reply to
I'm Right

Its about time they make a new one, the Taco's been around for almost 10 freakin years! Just curious, has there been any yotas that had a longer run (w/o a complete redesign) than the current tacoma?

Reply to
Allan Keeys