differential filler plug on 94 toyota short box pickup, socket size ?

its a 22re engine on short box, darn filler plug is seized , took a 4 foot bar last time to open. got a cheap stamp bolt head, tried 24 mm, 15/16, there close but stripping. 23 mm I have a feeling. dont have one, dont know if they exist.

I think i will have to heat it up with a propane torch and zapp with d w 40 or something. I dont want to strip it. I got to check the oil.

can someone confirm exact bolt head size, from experience or a manual. mine says nothing. or a way to get if off without butchering it. might have to weld a nut on the head if it strips. dont want to go there

righty tighty, lefty loosey. hehehehehehehe

Reply to
amc

Suggestion: quit struggling with it. Get a new filler plug. Drill and tap a hole in the differential housing at the same level as the original. Some metal shavings will fall inside the housing, so you should change the lube. Thread in the new filler plug and drive away wearing a smile.

Daniel B. Martin

Reply to
Daniel B. Martin

if u can acces the bolt and u have calipers then measure the width of the hex head

Relax. Even if you completely ruin the hex head on the plug, you can always resort to a bolt extractor, ie., an "easy-out." Just be sure to have a new plug on hand to replace the old one with, and it would be wise to borrow/rent a proper-sized tap to chase the diff threads in the pumpkin before the new plug goes in. A bit of anti-seize wouldn't hurt.

Reply to
Radrunner