Do All Tundras have Bad Brake Vibration?

I drove a 2000 Tundra off the lot and when I would slow down on the down hill... wow, lots of brake vibration... almost like bad rotors but inconsistent and seemed most on downhill stops...

Do all the 2000-2003's do this...

Paul

Reply to
Freewheelin'

Not '03 and newer... a TSB was released to fix the problem. R&R rotors and calipers. If you're still under the 3/36 (or even if you're not) stop by a dealership and ask about it.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

My 2003 doesn't. It brakes smoothly and flawlessly.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

My 2000 Tundra had the problem. There's a TSB on it and my dealer completely replaced my brake system, front and back, even though I was over the 3 year/30k.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I have a 2001 with 45k miles and have never had that problem. I did just replace the brakes at about 38k miles. I don't load the bed or tow a lot of trailers or anything.

Reply to
R3

I own a 2001, and mine did this right around 30K miles. A friend with the same year trunk had the same problem at 30K. I took it to the dealer and they had a service bulletin on the issue, and completely replaced my front end brake system. (My mechanic told me that it is a Ford product...???) Hopefully they fixed this by 2003, but all you guys with the new truck don't hold your breath until you hit 30k.

Long live the Tundra!

Shane

Reply to
shane

The mechanic is FOS. There are NO Ford products in the Tundra.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

The vibration on the downhill indicates a wheel alignment problem. Toyota's spec for caster is insufficient and way too broad. If the alignment tech sets the camber and toe at the center of the spec and the caster at the max, you won't have this instability. What you felt was something like the wobbly wheel on a bad shopping cart. If you were at a dealer, they might set the alignment anywhere in Toyota's spec, and often that isn't good enough--the spec is too wide.

The 2000 Tundras had three brake problems. The rear shoe adjuster got the shoes too tight, the rear drums were too light and tended to warp, and the front calipers had a problem that caused the discs to warp. If you're looking at this truck at a Toyota dealer, have them look up all the TSBs on the truck (Technical Service Bulletins) and have as part of the deal where they do all these plus an alignment where you get the printout and the results are what I listed above. If they don't want to do the work, insist on the alignment and the new adjusters, and have the drums and discs checked for trueness--if warped, insist on the work. The caliper job is expensive--new wheel bearings are required because of access, in addition to new calipers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I had been planning on buying a Tundra 4x4 as I am getting a boat and need a tow vehicle. Which model years have these brake problems?

Sandy

Reply to
Sandyon66XYZ

Fixed with the 2003 tundra

Reply to
RG

The new model adjusters were on the 2001 trucks, the new style rear drums on

2002, and the calipers by late 2003.

If the truck brakes smoothly, don't worry. When you need brake work, upgrade the parts if they haven't already been done. The Tundra owner's manual says that if the loaded trailer exceeds 1000 lbs., trailer brakes are necessary. Lots of folks tow heavier trailers without brakes, but I'd have brakes if the loaded truck plus loaded trailer exceeds the truck's GVWR of

6080#. My 4wd Tundra with just me, the dog, and the Roll-n-Lock bed cover weights 5020#.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Not exactly "late" 2003. I think the cut-in date for production was mid September '02. I bought mine on November 4th and it has the update.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

The vibration on my vehicle was not necessarily a downhill problem, definitely not a wheel alignment problem, and it was in the front brakes only. A responsible Toyota dealer will honor the service bulletin and do all the work at no cost to you the consumer.

Shane

Reply to
shane

My 2001 2 wheel drive had the problem at 30K miles.

Shane

Reply to
shane

Is this a problem where Toyota: (A) only has to replace the brakes for certain year/serial number Tundras which are under Warranty, or (B) has to replace the parts for all certain year Tundras even if they are not still under Warranty?

Do you, or does anyone else, have the number of the Service Bulletin? Can these Toyaita Service Bulletins be found on the Internet?

Thanks, Sandy

Reply to
Sandyon66XYZ

I got my Tundra in May of 2003. Do I need a brake upgrade? Any thoughts on this appreciated.

RG

Reply to
RG

No. You already have the brakes that are used to retrofit earlier models.

----------------------------------------------- "Character is that which reveals moral purpose, exposing the class of things a man chooses and avoids." - Aristotle

Reply to
Eric Dreher

You're fine. The new parts went into production in September '02.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I have a 2001 Tundra TRD, and had to replace the pads at about a year. Sometimes it has this "shake" that comes through the seat and through the steering wheel. The alighment seems ok, it tracks straight on the freeway. I have felt like there is something wrong with the bearings, but I just get the "there're sealed bearings" line from the shop I use, and the dealer. What do I need to ask te dealer about to make sure that this break thing is not the problem.

Reply to
John Anderson

Mention the TSB and complain of brake vibration. If you're still with

3/36, no problem. I've read of some dealers covering people out of warranty as well, so it's always worth a shot.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer