Does 2005+ 2.7L fit older Tacomas?

Does anyone know if you can swap the 2005+ 2.7L (VVT) engine into the older

2.7L Tacoma engine compartment? Or are the motor/tranny mounts too different? This would be for a 1996 standard cab 4WD.

R.C.

Reply to
R.C.

A quick check on Transtar's chart shows they (05-08 and 89-04 generations, 4SP, RWD) both use A340E transmission.

I wasn't able to f> Does anyone know if you can swap the 2005+ 2.7L (VVT) engine into the old= er

Reply to
johngdole

BE CAREFUL. You are going to have an engine computer that matches the engine, otherwise you won't be emissions-legal and might have a computer that will damage the engine. For example the 2005 uses a drive-by wire throttle, not sure about earlier. If you do have a computer that goes with the engine you are not out of the woods yet, the computer has to match up with the rest of the electrial system as well.

Personally I wouldn't try it unless I had heard from someone who had succeeded in this operation. It is in the "difficult" class as far as mods go, Expect to spend a lot of time deciphering wiring diagrams. Maybe somewhere on the net there is a compatibility chart for this sort of thing.

Jim

But best of luck, you might get it to work.

Reply to
jim