Does K&N Air Filter Increase Gas Mileage on 2003 Tundra?

Has anyone installed the K&N factory replacement air filter on their Tundra and gotten better gas mileage, even just a couple of miles better?

Has anyone installed the complete K&N mass air system and seen better results than just the K&N factory replacement filter?

Most of my driving is highway and I'm getting about 18 mpg right now.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul H. Smith

no

Reply to
I'm Right

Look at K&N's dyno chart for your engine

It shows an actual power loss below 3100 rpm. What gain there is comes at very high rpm, and you sure don't drive at those rpms if you're trying to save fuel.

How can any air filter save gas? The air flow is restricted by the throttle plate doing its job. Even if the K&N and other air filters are low resistance/high flow (of which I'm not sure), it makes no difference except at wide open throttle.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Facts? They have no place in the US, we need marketing claims!

I've looked over and over at K&N graphs for different vehicles, and I haven't seen one yet that would add something to a typical street vehicle, other than the cool sticker and a buzzword for the driver.

The track is a totally different world...

Reply to
B a r r y

I went with a K&N air filter merely for the fact that it would save me money on air filters in the long run. I have had no adverse mileage or other effects over the course of the 6 years I've owned my 4Runner, even with a dirty K&N filter, old plugs, and the original o2 sensors ('96). So while I can't say that it really boosted anything, I can at least say that it hasn't screwed anything up over the course of time.

"Slow down, save gas!"

Reply to
Pookerz

"Paul H. Smith" sez:

Nope, all the K&N filters will do for you is allow more particulates and silicates to get past and promote premature wear of your engine. Take your stock filter and hold it up to the sun. Do the same with your K&N. Notice all the nice little holes to let stuff through? Put your $$s in stock filter ... it'll save you $$s in the long run (if that is important to you).

Good filterin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

The rap on K&N is that if they achieve any additional power it is just cause they do very little filtering - you could probably achieve the same thing by having no filter at all.

Reply to
spacetrax