Dumb Question of the Week (TM) regarding positraction (LSD)

I have a 97 Tacoma w/4cyl - 5 speed manual, ext. cab, cruise and I love this truck. Here's the DQOTW: Can I just go to a junkyard and buy a LSD diffy from another Tacoma of that year, swap it with the non-LSD diffy I have now, and expect to have true positraction ? I'm thinking that if it is possible, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to swap the two.

Ed Kalifornia

Reply to
Otter

Your theory is sound but you need to record backlash with current diff/gear setup and bearing preload too and then when you swap the pigs you need to make sure that you set preload and backlash the same. Due to production tolerances, you cannot just drop it in and run 99% of the time with issues developing from improper preload and gear noise because of improper balcklash cause mess problems. Ther is a relationship between pinion depth and backlash for proper gear contact and you must reset this properly. There is no need to reset pinion depth as long as you set backlash to its value before the swap.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Well. That's what optimism is for: Thinking everything will be rosy without knowing everything. It looks like a re-evaluation of the situation is in order with this new information. I think I'll take this project a little more seriously than just thinking all it takes is unbolt-swap-bolt. Thanks SnoMan.

Ed

Reply to
Otter

There was no LSD in '97, so it would mean retrofitting an entire axle from a later year. Biggest problems aside from mating the driveshaft will be things like the load sensor and brake hardware.

Reply to
Dan G

Well, maybe you think THOSE are big problems, but I think my wife gave me a bigger one when I told her what I wanted to do:

W: "You want to what ??? How long did it take you to build that fence in Marysville?" Me: "It was a great fence though, wasn't it? Nice and solid." W: "That fence will still be standing in 40 years, but that's not the point. You are NOT tying up the garage while you work on this thing for two years" Me: "It's not going to take two years" W: "You are not tying up the garage."

It seems my only alternative now is buying a truck with posi built in. Thanks for the help fellows.

Ed Kalifornia

Reply to
NewsOtter

The LSD in my '06 Tundra seems to work OK. Maybe it's time for a Tundra! :-) Should be able to get a '06 or earlier at a discount for a little bit as folks rush to trade 'em in on '07's.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff