EFI 22re smog control

I let a guy work on my engine and he offered to disable smog control... I was like sure, he went and went to work, he clipped tons of wires that are on that little plate that bolts to the valve cover, plugged ALL the tubes, and turned on the engine, it seemed to run fine, but now I am having tons of trouble with my engine, it may be the timing chain, or maybe that? help?

Reply to
ThoseWhoHatedMeCreatedMe

You didn't mention that little factoid in the other post with the timing chain concerns - it's a 1992 22RE engine, right?...

You have some damned serious problems here - I've heard it's a stone cold pain in the keester to get all the smog equipment off an EFI engine properly and make it run right, the computer gets all screwed up from data not arriving from disconnected sensors.

Or the EFI Computer tries to change the timing or bump up the idle by closing a vacuum valve that doesn't exist anymore, and nothing happens - so it panics, throws the Check Engine light on and goes into Open Loop "Limp-Home" Mode where it runs like crap, but it runs...

"I'm helping!!" BULLPUCKY. Go back to "that guy" and he either gets it running right, or he puts it all back the way he found it. Like it or not, it's an integrated system that all has to be there to work right. And if you live anywhere that a State Smog Inspection is required - either biennially like California does to renew the registration or when you sell the vehicle - Congratulations, you just let him turn your car into Scrap Metal. Seriously. It may be easier and cheaper to junk the truck than to locate and rebuild all the wiring connections, sensors, hoses, vacuum switching valves, and other necessary stuff he just snipped and trashed.

Without that smog certificate, you can kiss the license plates goodbye. They'll spot the carnage in a heartbeat, the smog station guys all know what's supposed to be there. And they are almost impossible to bribe - because if the State gets wind of a station faking tests, they send an inspector in undercover with a doctored car and a wad of crisp Twenties in their pocket. If the smog operator takes the bait and fakes a Pass test his license is gone.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The guy used to work for NASA, he has a 22re just like mine and his runs perfectly, with the smog control disabled exactly the same, i live in hawaii so that stuff doesnt even matter, you dont even have to bribe the people here haha, we dont got no test like that.

he was the inventor of the high speed alternator and a few other things, hes my friends personal mechanic for his 8 second race car, he built the EFI unit for that car, literaly, built it himself, he bought the little ics and all that stuff and spent days on end soldering and tuning.

Reply to
ThoseWhoHatedMeCreatedMe

umm..... the guy has the same exact engine as me and his runs perfect, he did the same exact thing as my engine... used to work for nasa, he really knows his stuff electronicly wise, i was hoping it was just something obvious.

Reply to
ThoseWhoHatedMeCreatedMe

I think the problem is a loose nut behind the wheel.

ThoseWhoHatedMeCreatedMe wrote:

Yet.

Don't think the Feds aren't trying for it in all 50 states. They'll come up with a way to tie it to a highway funding or defense bill eventually - do a biennial smog check, or "No Dollars For You!"

If he's willing to help get your car running right, and he can, go for it. (If he can't, why did he do it in the first place?)

But if you were only at the 'thinking about it' stage before ripping out the Smog stuff, my suggestion would be an emphatic "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it! Leave It Alone!" Those sensors are there so the EFI computer can adjust the timing and fuel delivery to changing conditions, and now (depending on exactly what he removed) the computer has no idea about what some of the conditions are or it can't change the engine parameters to make it run it's best.

But it's very bad timing because now you have multiple problems and it will be hard to pin down what's at fault. Is it the cam timing, or is it the EFI causing it to run like crud? Or something else?

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Well, i hear what your saying and it does make sence, the guy told me he would install this timing chain for me free on sunday, but the engine never ran right since i let other people work it, this guy acauly made it run better. the things he cut he said would only make the engine not turn up the idle when the AC was turned on.

someone who worked for the people that tested smog control told me that the guy did a good job too, he said just make sure EVERYTHING is plugged up and nothing is shorted. we disabled the computers timing control for a little so it was just the distributor and it ran exactly the same. you dont know of any sensor that is like, super obvious that could cause this?

Reply to
ThoseWhoHatedMeCreatedMe

I don't know what your problem is... i removed "MOST" of my 22re smog equipment on my 94' pickup and it runs like brand new... sooo I'm guessing he only pulled stuff like the EGR ... which really doesn't do jack shit anyway. I removed mine, I've never encountered a problem... sounds like you have a timing problem... those things are a bitch to get just right.. Ian

Reply to
EasyE

oh thanks man, i was scared a little there.... :D

Reply to
ThoseWhoHatedMeCreatedMe

The whole word is choking in smog and you go and disable your emision control. Great. Hope a big tree that died from acid rain falls on your truck with you in it.

Reply to
Mike Chevalier

we dont have emission laws here in a hawaii for a reason you moron. do you have any idea how much polution harleys put out? strait piped? or what about deisels? or how about air planes? tour boats anyones? oooohhh... 2 strokes! they are nice, on idle u can watch trees die. cmon man, my truck is tuned to run great and i use it for offroading only...

ohh another thing, before the days of EFI, carbs were used, imagine those muscle cars with their nice 454 ci engines, ohh yeah, but its MY truck thats gonna kill the trees.

have a nice day

brian

ps. you are a moron. come to hawaii, look at the adverage veicle, they cant even pass a simple safty check, i think that emissions are the LAST concern here.

Reply to
ThoseWhoHatedMeCreatedMe

What a mean thing to say. jj

Reply to
JJones

Yeah, especially when you consider the "whole world" is not choking in smog. This is a condition far more prevalent in 3rd world metro centers such as Mexico City.

Reply to
Philip

SIMPLY A TREE HUGGING LIBERAL!

Reply to