EGR Service on 93 22RE

Thanks to everyone who posted answers to my earlier question earlier about injectors.

Does anyone know how well the EGR valve is supposed to shut when it is not activated (no vacuum to EGR valve)? I am working my way through possible causes for stumbling at low acceleration. All of the EGR tests I have found address whether the thing works at all (it does). None address whether the thing is sealing well when it is supposed to close. Since this can cause a vacuum leak, I decided to test by removing the tube that connects the the valve to the air intake chamber, then connecting a hand vacuum pump to the valve outlet (manifold side) and pumping away. The valve leaks enough that the gage on the pump never moves. I removed the pump and sucked/blew on the hose -- the leakage is obvious. Should it seal well enough to hold some kind of vacuum for at least a couple of seconds or so one cannot suck through it?

I have blanked off the valve connections and will drive it a couple of days and see if there is a difference. If so, I intend to pull it when I am replacing the fuel filter. Then I guess I'll try to clean it. Any suggestions on how to do that? It looks like there is no direct line of sight from the inlet/exit ports to the valve area. Replacement is quite spendy.

Thanks.

Jim Andrus

Reply to
James Andrus

I had the same problem that you previously described - slight engine stumble during light accelleration with my 92 22RE. I went thru everything and I ended up suspecting the EGR valve as it would not hold vaccuum. The diaphram would move, but then it would leak down after 2 or 3 seconds - I did not use a vaccuum gauge. I took the part to the dealer convinced it was bad, but the service manager assured me that it's normal for them to leak down after a few seconds. Sounds like yours might be leaking faster. My problem ended up being two swapped vaccuum hoses to the throttle body - my Haynes manual vaccuum hose diagram is incorrect, while the diagram on the sticker under the hood is correct and the one to go by. Good luck. M.Paul

Reply to
M.Paul

Thanks. Just to be sure we are on the same wavelength, are you talking about vacuum applied to the vacuum connection on the top (actuation) or the large passage through which the gas travels from the exhaust manifold to the air plenum. I am concerned about sealing of the latter when the valve is "closed."

Jim

Reply to
James Andrus

Reply to